Jandy iAqualink randomly starting equipment

E795

Jan 23, 2017
Alamo, CA
The other night, different pieces of equipment started turning on randomly ( pool lights, garden lights, waterfall). They come on and then go off minutes to hours later. This kept happening. The panel inside does not show the equipment on, and could not turn it off.

Looking through old posts here, I saw that an old spa switch could be the problem, but we don't have a spa. I disabled the spa, nonetheless.

We had a pool guy come take a look. He says that water got on the computer board and it needs to be replaced for $1600.

Any ideas before we drop that much money?

Thanks

If your AquaLink box is closed, how did water get in? I would turn off the master breaker to your control box. Leave it off for 5 mins before switching on, then monitor for a several days. I would not drop $1600 on a new board. That seems very high. Do you have an antenna for phone app or do you control all from the inside panel?

The box was closed, but he speculated that the gasket leaked.

I have phone app and inside panel.
I just think that is a stretch. The board is towards the back and the gasket is only on that inside door. It hard to see how water got to board unless the control box is corroding and allowing moisture in. Did he point to any part of the board that shows damage? This is not to say that the board is bad, they are known to fail. I just don't see how water got to it. If you want to spend the time, remove the board, bring it in your home and let it dry out. Inspect it if you see any burn spots. Then install it and monitor for several days. Have you tried to call an online store such as Polytec Pools or INYO if they just sell the board? Again, $1600 sounds like a lot of money, but I have seen a lot of prices increase recently.

The other night, different pieces of equipment started turning on randomly ( pool lights, garden lights, waterfall). They come on and then go off minutes to hours later. This kept happening. The panel inside does not show the equipment on, and could not turn it off.

Looking through old posts here, I saw that an old spa switch could be the problem, but we don't have a spa. I disabled the spa, nonetheless.

We had a pool guy come take a look. He says that water got on the computer board and it needs to be replaced for $1600.

Any ideas before we drop that much money?

Thanks
How old? Bad gaskets in a Jandy power center do allow for water intrusion, especially wind-driven rain. In Northern California we had a bunch of that. Doesn't take much, then the water will condense on the top of the enclosure and drip onto the board. Seen it many times. Did a repair three weeks ago and saw a large amount of water sitting on the "shelf" below the breakers. Got some new weather stripping and re-sealed the box.
And, the boards do go bad. If you called Jandy, they would tell you that it needs replacing based on the symptoms. You might find someone that can repair it online.

Since you have the app (iQ20?, iQ30?) You could replace the board if you are comfortable, it can be DIY project if you get the board. Because "Jandy quit the Internet," many online retailers won't sell it.
But, here is one ad:

That price is less than at my wholesalers.
If you do that, be sure to get some new weather stripping. Home depot has stick-on that works well.

I just think that is a stretch. The board is towards the back and the gasket is only on that inside door. It hard to see how water got to board unless the control box is corroding and allowing moisture in. Did he point to any part of the board that shows damage? This is not to say that the board is bad, they are known to fail. I just don't see how water got to it. If you want to spend the time, remove the board, bring it in your home and let it dry out. Inspect it if you see any burn spots. Then install it and monitor for several days. Have you tried to call an online store such as Polytec Pools or INYO if they just sell the board? Again, $1600 sounds like a lot of money, but I have seen a lot of prices increase recently.
I'll try taking a look at it. I can't see anything that looks wrong as it's installed.

I would pull the main board out and take a look at the backside of it. If there was water intrusion it will be obvious as you will see white crusty stuff on the board and even some areas that look like they may be rusted. While water won't hurt an unpowered board, if water gets across powered circuit traces and components electrolysis happens quickly which causes corrosion and low resistance across areas that should not be connected.

If you don't see any evidence of damage on the back of the board you may have to take out the screws holding the board to the bezel so that you can get to the front side of the board. That's the side where the keypad contacts are and from your random activations it seems like you may have some corrosion in the keys area.

If you do see white crusty stuff and the traces and parts are not completely corroded away you may be able to fix things by cleaning off the crud with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol as that will take the crud off, and attract any water that may be underneath the chip components on the board. You can use a qtip dipped in alcohol to clean everything off.

Once you get the water out it may start working again once it is all dried out.

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.