Jandy heater not igniting? - UPDATE - fixed!

pc132

Jun 12, 2015
La Crescenta. CA
Hello,

I just tried turning on my heater for the first time this season, and the burner is not turning on. When I first turn on the heater, I hear the fan go on, and then usually in like a minute you hear a small click and then a whoosh as the heat turns on. You can then normally feel hot air coming out of the exhaust. However, now, after the small click, there is no whoosh and no heat. Video is here.
The click happens around the 1:01 mark. I can smell a little bit of gas after the click.

I consulted the manual and it says the below. Since I smell gas (and I see that the gas valve is in the ON position) I don't think it's gas. Maybe it is gas in the air line...I will try cycling it a few more times (I tried like 3 times). I've had the heater since 2014 and just had it serviced last year and it worked fine all season. I just recently had my pool replastered, so it was drained and refilled, if that makes a difference. Anybody have any thoughts on what might be the issue and how to fix?

1651868602518.png
UPDATE:
I noticed that after the click (13 second mark in new video below) you can hear a small whoosh (19 second mark in new video below) but there is definitely no heat. I let it just run for about 5 minutes and it cycled through that same click, small whoosh, no heat routine, until finally it just turned off and I got a FAULT CHECK IGN STEPS message.

2nd UPDATE:
I replaced the igniter per PoolGate's suggestion, but that didn't work. I also checked the air pressure tubing per the below and everything looked intact.
1651944874116.png

3rd UPDATE:
It's been fixed!!! So, it wasn't the igniter. I changed that myself, but it still didn't work, so I figured the fix was above my pay grade. Technician came and confirmed that there was no voltage to the connectors. He called Jandy and they thought it might be the pice they called the Fenwal. They got a new one, but it still didn't work. They then figured out that it was some controller board that controlled the electricity, along with a new transformer. They replaced both and now it works! I've been putting it through the paces today, and so far so good! Thanks to the community for the suggestions! Hopefully this thread helps someone out in the future.

THX!

Last edited:
Hmmm you didn't touch the ignitor did you? They are easy to fry. Check and make sure it isn't cracked already. My heater had the same exact symptoms as you (2x) and both times a new ignitor fixed it. Not sure what else it could be. Is it still under warranty?

I don't believe I touched the igniter (at least the non-plastic parts), and I was definitely very gentle with it. What do you mean by cracked?

I'll try reconnecting to give it another whirl. I also checked the tubing on the air pressure switch per the manual and everything looked fine. It's well out of warranty. I have somebody coming in to look at it next week, but wanted to see if I could just fix it myself first. Oh well. Here's a picture of the old igniter if folks want to see. New one looked the same, just newer.

Attachments

• 20220507_102810.jpg
    20220507_102810.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220507_102801.jpg
    20220507_102801.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220507_092713.jpg
    20220507_092713.jpg
    776.4 KB · Views: 2
Ignitor looks good if you have a multimeter you could run a quick continuity check. You can do that while it is installed.

This might be overkill (but maybe might be useful to somebody in the future), but here's a picture of the new igniter....I just re-installed it and it still doesn't work.

Attachments

• 20220507_104134.jpg
    20220507_104134.jpg
    587.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220507_104140.jpg
    20220507_104140.jpg
    685.4 KB · Views: 2
Jandy changed out the igniter style a while back as the ones they originally used broke to easily. The old one was like a spiral design and the new style is more of a solid looking piece.

Looks like your replacement is the old style. Get the new style.

Old style

1632255485153-png.373234

New style.

1632255581170-png.373235

Next thing I would check is if voltage is getting to the ignitor. A multimeter on the probes while it tried to light should do it but I don't know what that voltage should be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After installing check the resistance of the ignitor with a multimeter. A new ignitor should read approximately 40-90 ohms.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.