Jandy ePump horrible noise: Defective pump or due to extreme cold?

gocubs418

May 3, 2016
Dallas/TX
I have noticed when the temperature gets down very cold here that the pump begins to sound much louder. I chalked it up to the weather as it goes away as it warms up. However, I am in the last year of my 3 year warranty and want to make sure the pump is going dead on me. I checked both skimmers and they are clean. The pump basket has a little debris but nothing crazy. Temperature is around 30 F right now.

VID_20190207_233639.mp4

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

In the big picture, 30F isnt "very cold". Many of us who've had our pools for several years have seen temps in the teens, and dont have any strange noises coming from our pumps. Im only 120 miles East of you and its 26F this morning and no issues here.

If it were me, I would be attempting to use that warranty.

In the big picture, 30F isnt "very cold". Many of us who've had our pools for several years have seen temps in the teens, and dont have any strange noises coming from our pumps. Im only 120 miles East of you and its 26F this morning and no issues here.

Sounds like the bearings. Metal expands when it gets warm and contracts when cold so that might be it.

Thank you. I will give the old PB a ring here and see what they say.

Reactions: Divin Dave
Take a video of the horrible noises when cold as proof to show your PB.

Bad motor bearings... get them replaced under warranty! They may give you a new motor. Replace the seal also, this caused the bearing failure.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: gocubs418
That sound is definitely not normal, whether it's cold, hot or seasonally nice. Definitely save your video and find a way to time stamp it with the current date/time. When the warranty person comes and does X, make sure you receive a copy of everything that was performed, in detail...also, have the tech examine everything else on your equipment pad to perform an inspection for any unnecessary wear and tear...good luck.

Pls post back after the tech finishes so we can learn what took place - that could help someone else.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like the drive has failed. File a warranty claim for a new motor and drive.
Sounds like the bearings. Metal expands when it gets warm and contracts when cold so that might be it.

Bad motor bearings... get them replaced under warranty! They may give you a new motor. Replace the seal also, this caused the bearing failure.

Hope this helps.

Chris
That sound is definitely not normal, whether it's cold, hot or seasonally nice. Definitely save your video and find a way to time stamp it with the current date/time. When the warranty person comes and does X, make sure you receive a copy of everything that was performed, in detail...also, have the tech examine everything else on your equipment pad to perform an inspection for any unnecessary wear and tear...good luck.

Pls post back after the tech finishes so we can learn what took place - that could help someone else.

Service came out. The pump diffuser was faulty, rubbing badly causing the noise. They replaced it. All better now. Thank you.

Thanks for the follow. So I wonder what made the diffuser tear up? For future reference anything that rubs in there makes a nasty noise similar to a bad bearing. Also motor fan can do that.

Glad your problem was solved!

Chris

Looks like the drive has failed. File a warranty claim for a new motor and drive.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Follow up:

Noise came back, they put in an order to replaced the motor? I assume that is pretty much a total replacement?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.