Jandy ePump Drive Gone Bad

Jan 5, 2017
Allen
Today our Jandy ePump stopped working. The pool repair company came out and the pump motor was humming along but no water was flowing through. After some troubleshooting the repair guy said the pump drive is bad and that on these Jandy pumps they can't just replace the drive so I'd have to replace the pump. He being a Pentair dealer recommended the Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST. Is he correct that I can't just have the pump drive fixed? Any help/tips appreciated.

Thanks

Why don't you call up Jandy and ask them?

While I think it's true that it's not easy to separate the variable frequency drive (VFD) from the electric motor it is paired to, there doesn't seem to be any reason why you should have to replace the wet end of the pump. The manufacturer (Jandy) can almost certainly sell you a new motor with a VFD. In fact, there are kits for converting single speed pumps into variable speed pumps that is nothing more than a simple motor swap.

A new VFD/motor is certainly going to be more expensive than your basic single speed motor but not more than a brand new pump (plus plumbing/installation costs). My opinion is that the repair guy is trying to up-sell you his preferred equipment rather than fix what you have because he makes a lot more money selling you a new pump + installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you consider doing the repair yourself? I would not trust this repair guy if he's saying a new motor is more than a new pump.

Would you consider doing the repair yourself? I would not trust this repair guy if he's saying a new motor is more than a new pump.

I'm a horror show when it comes to repairs so no. He is saying roughly $1,950 for the Pentair pump installed and $1,800 for the ePump. To just replace drive and motor in the existing pump is roughly 2K.

I'm a horror show when it comes to repairs so no. He is saying roughly $1,950 for the Pentair pump installed and $1,800 for the ePump. To just replace drive and motor in the existing pump is roughly 2K.

Ok...WOW! I don't know if those prices are accurate for where you live but $1,950 for a Pentair pump sounds waaaaaay over-priced to me. The IntelliFlo pump is around $1,000 online from various outlets. I realize that a professional installation also should get you the extended warranty coverage and cover any electrical and plumbing work but $950 extra for that seems way over-priced to me.

I don't know what your Jandy model/serial numbers are but a quick search of the replacement motor for an ePump (so motor plus controller) is looking like it would be around $1,000 as well.

So, while he's saying the ePump motor replacement would cost as much as a new Pentair, that may be close enough to true. But he's seriously inflating the installation charges.

I'm not sure what to say other than I would look for different options or a different service person. If it were me, and I do consider myself somewhat handy, I would do the motor replacement myself. But I get you're in a difficult spot with a dead pump and no good options so all you can do is bite the bullet and pay what he's asking or try to find a different installer.

Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.