South Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 700
I have a 5 year old pool and it seems that once again my AquaPure 1400 will need to be replaced. I've already had 3 replacements over the last 5 years. My pump is a 2 speed pump and my pool installer told me to run my pool at high speed for 6 hours a day and on low speed for 17.55 hours a day with a 5min off period between modes. My pool faces east-west with southern exposure and I'm South Florida so the pool get's sun all day long. I also seem to get a lot of dirt and debris in pool (leaves and dirt) from the road near my property. I also use a pool service, but they don't check/clean the cell as part of their standard service.

My recent issue is that my AquaPure is throwing a 121 and/or 120, I cleaned it between Xmas and New Years (so just about 1 month ago) and the 121 error persisted for about 12 hours before it reset. Now I'm getting error 120, I haven't checked my cell this month (I'll do that tonight). When I checked it last month there was a good amount of buildup on all the prongs which I cleaned. I saw somewhere that the average life of an AquaPure 1400 would be ~5,000 hours.

My question is do I need to run my pump 24x7 and if I do what can I do about the duty life on my cell? Would installing a larger cell help prolong the replacement time between of my cell?

My question is do I need to run my pump 24x7 and if I do what can I do about the duty life on my cell? Would installing a larger cell help prolong the replacement time between of my cell?
Simple answer, no. You run your pump primarily for the following reasons: Skimming, filtering, chlorinating, heating and mixing chemicals into the pool. Secondarily for water features and other stuff.

What pump speed, timing and duration will skim your pool given your environment?
What duration do you need to filter your pool to your satisfaction?
What duration and speed do you need to heat your pool and have the flow (speed) to have the heater flow switch turn on?
For chlorinating, run the duration and % output setting required to chlorinate your pool (and turn on the flow switch). You can run cell at 100% for shorter, or some smaller % output for longer.
Run it when you are adding chemicals.

A larger cell will last longer. What size cell are you using?

Cleaning, particularly with Muriatic will shorten the life of the cell. How often do you clean it?

Do you use Pool Math and track CSI?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
A common failure point in these cells is the center electrode attachment point to the plate fails due to corrosion. I’ve had 2 that died prematurely that way And switched to a non jandy replacement cell that is 1/2 the price and actually outputs more chlorine. It’s been going on 1 yr with zero issues

A common failure point in these cells is the center electrode attachment point to the plate fails due to corrosion. I’ve had 2 that died prematurely that way And switched to a non jandy replacement cell that is 1/2 the price and actually outputs more chlorine. It’s been going on 1 yr with zero issues
Can you tell us what the non Jandy replacement cell is and where you got it? Does this cell integrate with the Aquapure 1400 system or is it an entirely new cell system?

I've had one 1400 cell go bad after 1 1/2 seasons, that was replaced under warranty. The same center electrode failure. I have 2 more cells from the PB and Jandy ready to swap, as "goodwill gestures" to keep a customer happy. Don't be afraid to complain and ask for replacements. You'll be surprised what a negative review(or threat of one) can do.

Beware though, don't work on Jandy equipment if it is under warranty, as that will void any warranties.

I used this one which has been excellent! Also it allows controlling cell output using the iaqualink app the same as the OEM one. And yeah I’m familiar with their policies. This is my 3rd aquapure complete system I’ve installed since I built the pool in 2004. My last jandy replacement cell went 3 yrs and had the center electrode fail,again but the rest of the electonics have been rock solid. With the cell prices getting completely out of hand and they’re inaction on fixing the design issue, I went with an aftermarket cell. TBH their anti-diy stance means I’ll never buy their equipment if I build a new pool down the road.
0C20A145-BF97-4C4B-8006-5A84F7E3B27A.png

Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX
What are your water parameters? If you are getting buildup, your water parameters are off. Probably too high CH. Can you post a full set here? Every time you clean it you reduce the life. What percent are you running it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.