Jandy Aquapure 1400 installation question

zac280

Silver Supporter
May 29, 2018
Central Georgia
New pool, the tech installed the salt cell horizontally with the sensor port on the side. The manual says the sensor port should be oriented down. The manual doesn't say DON'T do it that way, but is this going to cause problems? I need to check when I get home, but I'm not sure he left clearance underneath to rotate it if we could. I'll post a pic when I get home.

It’s one of those things that is really a question of why it was done that way Was he or she in a hurry? Did they not have enough room to add couplings? As far as it hurting anything I honestly doubt it. Usually the salt systems and sensors just need to be facing a certain way more for flow direction etc. I have seen the aquapure sensors in all sorts of wierd spots and it never really seemed to matter much. For peace of mind though you can always redo it. That’s the nice thing about pvc. It’s easy to work with. If the unit is working that’s a good sign. !

The sensor needs to stay wet. Down is best. Sideways should be fine. Up might cause problems because air, chlorine gas or hydrogen gas can keep water from getting to the sensor.

I don't know if Jandy actually says to install it facing down although the pictures show it like that. I think it will not make any difference at all for the sensors. But the opposite side of the sensors is the power input. Even though those are supposed to be water tight, having them on the top I could see as advantageous to keeping water out of the contacts (rain and such). Also the sensor port is supposed to double as an inspection port for the plates. It would be really hard to see the plates if that port was facing down.

Here's a pic of the install, there's definitely not enough clearance to turn it so the port faces down. It was just installed yesterday, so we can't add salt for a month and he hasn't installed the sensor yet.aquapure.jpg

Poolgate, I get what you mean about the inspection port, and I thought the same thing. The only real ergonomic way I could see to use it for inspection would be to install it vertically. The image in the manual seems pretty clear to me, and every image you find of this thing online has that port facing down. But if the consensus from experience is that it doesn't matter, I won't press it.

aquapure_manual.png

Really to fully inspect the cell it’s better to just take the whole unit off at the unions. Would have to anyway to clean it properly anyway. That orientation is fine. I have seen that more than enough times and it’s always been ok. I see why it was done like that. Was simply easier to do. At least the check valve was put in between cell and heater line. That’s one thing I see a lot that’s always overlooked. . I wouldn’t worry to much. I’d be more worried about the board being bonded properly etc. enjoy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.