Jacuzzi Draining when Spa on

Jrezvani

Feb 21, 2021
Hello All!

Just moved into a new home and having trouble with heating and water flow for the jacuzzi. Wondering if anyone out there has some advice.

When I turn on my heater and turn valves into SPA mode ( Photo 2), the jacuzzi will drain.

Photo #1 show the everyday position for my pool. Nothing is wrong with this aspect of the system. When I turn on the heater in this position. I was told this will heat the whole pool and to just heat the jacuzzi, switch the valves into Photo #2 position. Like I shares, when putting the valves into Position/photo #2. The jacuzzi will drain.

I am unsure if this issue is due to incorrect positioning or damaged valves. If anyone has some knowledge to share much is appreciated!

Best,

Jon

Attachments

• #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    502.3 KB · Views: 11
  • #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 11
Jon,

If the water drains while in the Spa mode, that means that you are not getting "replacement" water back into your spa...

I suspect that the markings on your Return valve are not correct.

I assume water is being sucked out quickly and not over a long period of time.

I would reverse the direction of the Return valve and see what happens.. Note that the Return valve is after your filter,, The Intake valve is the one in front of your pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Maybe the check valve in the spa markup line is bad and leaking (or the lid is reversed). If you close that red handled ball valve does the spa stop loosing water when in the spa mode?

I should have added that pipe loop that includes that red handled gate valve is called a spa makeup line. When you have the three way return valve set in the pool position the water returns to the pool. The Tee, check valve and ball valve allows water to also return to the spa. The ball valve controls how much water is allowed to be diverted to the spa.

When you switch the return to the spa position the check valve prevents the return water from flowing backwards in that loop to the pool. If the check valve is leaky (bad) then your spa could drain even when in the return is in the spa direction.

Mark

Jon,

I agree with MSchutzer's post above... If the check valve is broken, or leaking, it will allow some of the water that is supposed to go back to spa, to go back into the pool.. In theory, this valve would also cause your spa to drain down to the level of the pool, when the pump is off..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jon,

Here's a link to the replacement flapper for the check valve.

You may also want to take a look at your current check valve and make sure that the flapper is installed in the correct direction. The top of those Jandy check valves can be installed in any position and while unlikely it's possible that it got installed 180 degrees out of alignment allowing water to flow from the spa to the pool rather than the other way around. The flapper should be on the side of the check valve that is nearest to the tee in the pool return line.

Mark

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.