Bronze Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
Tampa area, Florida
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
that I need to be treating for ants and termites? Don't worry, that's a rhetorical question. I was in a random post, which led me to a YouTube, which led me to another YouTube about ants and termites eating holes in pool liners.

How big of a problem is this? What chemicals are recommended for around AGPs? DIY or exterminator? (Prefer DIY)

Currently I have a contract with an exterminator to treat my house for ants and termites already. I just asked the guy that shows up to treat around the pool and he does for me everytime at no additional cost. But you should be able to get some spray from a home improvement store and treat around the pool monthly.

i have had these flying ants that have been flying in my pool the last week or so. they hurt when they bite too :mad:. the bad thing about it is that when they hit the water they do not die. i use my net to push them into the filter. they are becoming very annoying.
We get them every summer and they hurt like a son of a gun when they bite/sting. The area swells up just like a bee sting. I wish I knew where they were coming from, I swear I'd take a blow torch to them.
Has anyone come up with a way to get rid of them?

Amdro Ant Block. You sprinkle the granules in the yard and the ants come out and eat it and die. You do the whole yard not just the mounds like those other products. I hate looking for the mounds... everything looks like a mound to me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool installer warned me to treat for ants regularly around the pool. He said 90% of his liner changes were from ant damage. The area under and around the pool is ideal ant habitat. Ants love to live in Sandy soil under heavy things that animals that want to eat them can't get under.

Standard ant treatments at home improvement stores should be enough to keep them at Bay. Boric acid based ant baits that get brought back to the hive are also good choices.

For a more professional treatment option that a homeowner can do you can look into Bifen IT.

Boric acid (borax) in the pool water also helps keep insects of all types out of the water.

Before I set up my pool I watched a number of set-up videos, and one that stood out had DE spread over the ground before putting down any pad or groundcloth.

By the time we had set the pavers and leveled the site, we had ants. So we mixed boric acid with some DE, sprinkled that around the mounds (little black ant hills), and covered the site with DE. It gets into the joints of the insects and gouged out holes in their exoskeletons, killing them. So I'll have to report back about this.

We're also going to mix up boric acid and DE and use it around the pool and yard for fleas and other insects.

Reactions: Tena
Before I set up my pool I watched a number of set-up videos, and one that stood out had DE spread over the ground before putting down any pad or groundcloth.

By the time we had set the pavers and leveled the site, we had ants. So we mixed boric acid with some DE, sprinkled that around the mounds (little black ant hills), and covered the site with DE. It gets into the joints of the insects and gouged out holes in their exoskeletons, killing them. So I'll have to report back about this.

We're also going to mix up boric acid and DE and use it around the pool and yard for fleas and other insects.

How is this working? What ratio did you use? I have a infestation in my pool rn and want them to die.

Thanks!

Boric acid (borax) in the pool water also helps keep insects of all types out of the water.
And liquid borax traps kill most kinds of ants. Dunno if they make an outdoor version but the ones we use in our kitchen work like a charm

Man, this post speaks to me so much, just check my post history. Have had this house for a few years, never treated for ants (didn't know I needed to!) and just never had a problem. Well.....this year my liner is DESTROYED. I've placed at least 60 patches by now over the past 2 months.

I have our regular ant company come out and at first he said he had never heard of ants eating a liner, but he learned from someone else that it's a common thing.

We have had to bring them out twice to retreat. I am nearing the end of the season here, and I really want to figure out what to do when I replace the liner to try to prevent this as much as possible next year.

The above are great suggestions for DE etc, but what about the liner itself? Should I just get the thickest I can? Also what about using the corner styrofoam pads you can get to create the slope instead of just sand, and the pad underneath?

Currently all my holes are on the wall right where the slope starts. I'm assuming there is just enough space in there for them to get cozy.

i wish somebody had a good cure for all the wasps we are having around here. i use wasp spray but hate doing it around the pool water.

These work wonders. There is a version for east of the rockies and a west of the rockies.

I don't know what type of ant you have.
As far as I know, Fire Ants have not gotten as for North as your location. Pray with all your might, that they don't.

We get them every summer and they hurt like a son of a gun when they bite/sting. The area swells up just like a bee sting. I wish I knew where they were coming from, I swear I'd take a blow torch to them.
Has anyone come up with a way to get rid of them?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.