I've run out of ideas to get raypak 406a to fire up

Jul 26, 2013
I'm about at my wit's end. I can't get my raypak 406a to fire up. The pilot lights and sometimes the burner will light for a few seconds. System then restarts at pilot, but this time will not light. After a while I get Ignition failure indication. Then I can't get much to happen until I wait a while (many minutes). I've replaced the pilot assembly because it looked like a flame rectification problem. No change in symptoms. I've tried a new control board, but this did not change the symptoms. The only thing left I can think of is to change the gas valve. Any suggestions on how to verify that this could be it before I take this step. You guys have been great in the past; I've tried to read all the past threads I can find, but I'm running out of ideas. I'd so much appreciate some help.

Welcome to TFP.

NG or propane heater?

Have you confirmed your gas pressures with a manometer?

Reactions: 1poolman1
Sorry, the heater is propane. I don't have a manometer.
If you rent your propane tank, most suppliers will come out and do the appliance gas pressure test for no charge. The 1st and second stage pressure regulators use on propane have a finite life (10-15yrs in ideal circumstances) and given the heaters btu rating, you would see the issue creep up on that before any of the other low use appliances started to hiccup
I'd try that before spending several hundred on a new gas valve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.