I've got absolutely no clue where to start!

I think the old filter had sprung another leak! That’s what i’m going with anyway lol. It was leaking from so many places that I wouldn’t have noticed a new one. I’ve had the skimmer open since we installed the new stuff and all is well!
Whoop! That's excellent news!
Went out for nightly fc check and

I CAN SEE A RETURN JET

?
https://media1.giphy.com/media/J41U4YTqpGhVK/giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cd2bb704867377455018126&rid=giphy.gif

Now you can pick a spot and start taking progress pics (looking down into the pool), because some changes will be subtle!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: kimkats
C7AAE070-2986-4EC8-AEE6-0F49F57F921D.jpeg

It’s certainly subtle but I know I couldn’t see the jet at all before.

A32C0161-7AC4-4A31-88B4-CD50A19531E4.jpeg

Over night backwash...

E16904F8-E7AD-4492-843F-B0451DE46554.jpeg

I’ve been attempting to do mustard algae level shock since yesterday afternoon which according to my cya is 18.2. After several hours at that level, that jet appeared, so maybe it’s what I needed?

fc before bed: 18.5 (11pm)
fc just now: 17 (10:30am)
cc: 0.5

It’s about to rain it’s butt off again.

I've just been sitting on the sidelines watching and not experienced in the deswampification process, but would it be possible to take advantage of some of that rainwater by vacuuming some of that bottom-crud to waste?

I've just been sitting on the sidelines watching and not experienced in the deswampification process, but would it be possible to take advantage of some of that rainwater by vacuuming some of that bottom-crud to waste?

That was my plan :) I won’t drain unless it is dangerously close and still raining. It already needs some more water so hoping it fills up and I can vac to waste the excess. I also have that leaf eater coming tomorrow to try out!

I’ve been attempting to do mustard algae level shock since yesterday afternoon which according to my cya is 18.2. After several hours at that level, that jet appeared, so maybe it’s what I needed?
There is no benefit in going over the "Shock FC" value in this table. Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool I know it's hard to not get impatient but if you just consider how long you've had properly working equipment only and not the total time maybe that might help. It's going to take some time for that to clear, it just is.

Did you get your gauge situation worked out where it is showing a 25% increase in pressure before you backwash?

That's awesome on the return. In that one pic it seems like you can make out the transition and the deep end but it may be lighting/reflections.

Last edited:
I did not figure out the gauge. Tried the new one that came with the filter and it acts the same. Others have posted here that they have very similar experiences with using a VS on low rpms so, I think it might be ‘normal’ for my pump? The pressure seems to read accurately when the rpms are up.

I flip my pump to high speed to check the pressure. Usually I can tell by just looking at the flow through the SWCG cell though.

Don't want to backwash before it's needed though, a dirty filter clears better than a clean one, to a certain point of course.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a vinyl liner safety note, mustard level shock is only for 24hrs, not sustained as for SLAM Process ;)

Rain finally stopped for now - had to drain a bit.

I can clearly see two holes in the bottom of my skimmer! I didn’t even know that was there before.

Excited! ?
Very cool updates!!!

Last fc check of the night at 9.5, bumped up to 12.

I swear the pools is lightening by the hour... It seems like all that rain kick started it somehow Lol.

I can see how evident the orange stain is.... it’s bad. :( Quite worried about it. The entire liner is orange, should be white. Like... NOT light orange. More like deep pumpkin!! We’ll see where we go from here I guess. I’m okay with keeping it sequestered for now, I just hope it actually works. None of the “stain” threads I’ve browsed through has anything like what i’m seeing here.

Last edited:
Guys!!!
Look!!!
I can see dirt! Or whatever! All the way to the shallow end!
That clarity is suddenly taking off

??????
Oh Yeah!!! With a filter that is ACTUALLY filtering, you've got this in the bag!
Last fc check of the night at 9.5, bumped up to 12.

I swear the pools is lightening by the hour... It seems like all that rain kick started it somehow Lol.
It's your new equipment! It's working like it's supposed too! :D And the rain, the rain doesn't hurt either ;)

Got the leaf eater and tried it out today; to be honest there wasn’t a whole lot left!

2FF921BA-26E9-43C4-9D1D-7C83B16E284C.jpeg

Probably never would have gotten to those otherwise though. It’s about a bag and a half. I was expecting more, but we did vac some out with the other vac yesterday (3 skimmer baskets full) soooo... whatever is left down there is gonna stay most likely until we can see. I went over and over with the leaf eater and wasn’t gathering anything else up.

This evening FC check was 9.5 and only 0.5 cc, chlorine loss has dropped down again. Bumped to 12. I think most things are dead at this point... just have to get it filtered out.

Clarity improved slightly since my last report, can see the pole much farther down in the deep end. Slow going!

Reactions: kimmielea
40ECCB84-2718-416C-AD73-4FE4D2158F02.jpeg

Midnight check.

You can very clearly see the shallow end to deep end area now!!! It wasn’t like that’s just a few hours ago.

Did I mention I have a severe phobia of deep, dark water? Somehow this is making my insides squirm worse then it’s earlier appearance. It’s just an endless hole!!! ??

Fc check was 12.5. I added a few cups of bleach to stay above slam until I get up. CCs have been at 0.5 for a while now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.