I've got absolutely no clue where to start!

I just wanted to add that you are doing a great job and have the perfect attitude to not only succeed but be a super pool boy and girl.

It’s a nice perk that the cover is new. That’s about $2k installed (or more).

Will your dog be a swimmer? I ask because if so you may want to plan the introduction. They will need to know where the steps are (with treats of course) so they don’t flail around at the side and puncture the liner. Many people have dogs safely swimming in liners but the first few swims can be a little chaotic for a pup new to water, new to pools or new to that pool.

@kimkats can give you a full lesson plan on an approach if you want! We provide lots of different services here. And they are all the same price. We are paid in pictures and you already are well versed in that currency.

Reactions: HeyEng
That is a question I had. Where do you guys that have a liner store it? There is a shed in the back of the property. But should it be inside climate controlled? It can get over 100 degrees here for days (Arkansas) in the summer. Do I just fold it up?

I'm hoping she will enjoy the pool! Ever since she was a puppy she loves to jump into bathtubs and wait for someone to turn on the water so she can splash in it (but she hates baths, lol). The closest she has ever had to a pool...

IMG_0574.jpgIMG_0576.jpg

And that had a crack in it, so it didn't even get very full!

I would like for her to be able to enjoy the back yard. I am always out there with her, but we've been keeping her leashed for now because I don't want her getting in accidentally. If the pool was somewhere else, I would fence it (the backyard is already fenced), but they decided to install it pretty much right as you come outside. Well. It was originally farther away, I think, then they added a sunroom to the home so the pool is literally a few feet away from the door you exit to come out back. It would make fencing really obstructive :( So we do need to plan out introducing her to the water itself AND teaching her not to go in without permission. I'm not worried about her getting stuck since I would never let her out unsupervised. I just hope I can keep her out of it when I don't want her soaked because she takes hours to dry, lol.

Otherwise I'll just have to longline her.

Reactions: aeh0603
WOW! You have an awesome pool there!! A slide AND diving board?? FUN TIMES!!! Now lets get it clear! You are well on your way there.

Cover-clean it real good. Let it dry on both sides. Not sure how to best do that unless you have a place you can hang it from some lines so both side are exposed to the air so it can dry. Once it is dry you can roll it up to store it. Rolling is better than folding as it does not cause creases. Of course there may be some folds just to get it down to a small enough size to store it. A hot place is okay so long as the cover is dried before being put up AND the place is bug and critter free. I would think about getting a large, plastic container and think about putting tape on the openings to be extra safe if you do decide to put it in the outside storage. Like said above that is a $2000 cover so you want to treat it nice!

Dog-SO CUTE!!! I bet that fur does take a LONG time to dry.

So lets break her training down. First some questions:
-does she know "bed" "place" or how to go lay down somewhere when told to?
-does she know "stay" and will she stay there until released?
-what is something she will do just about anything for? (my dogs YUM is hotdogs pieces)
-is she crated trained?

I will wait to see what your answers are then we can come up with a plan. I have ideas that will be easy to implement.

Kim:kim:

She doesn’t know place.
She knows stay BUT outdoors she doesn’t listen as well.
She was crate trained as a puppy and had one for about 1.5 years that she enjoyed, but it was packed away due to lack of space so i’m not sure if she still “is”.
She loves well. Human food. Lol. Any meats. Bread. Cheese. She is very good driven. But, it does lose effectiveness a bit outside. She really starts to lose focus outside, but is a fantastical fast learner inside.

We have a garage too. I’ll probably stick the cover in there, then! And look into getting a container big enough for it.

We have a good starting point then. We have to teach her to "mind" outside. We will start with baby steps:
-Run her through her "puppy sit ups" as I call sit, down, come, turn, etc. Just run her through the commands inside.
-Take her outside and play with her for about 5 mins then call her to you and give her a well known command like sit. Use her YUM for when you call her and she does her command.
-Release her and let her play again for about 5 mins.
-Do this over and over for about 15 mins.
-play, come, command and repeat

INSIDE-Teaching PLACE:
-get a big towel and put it in a place that is out of the way but she can still see the family.
-Call her to the towel in such a way she HAS to walk on it. As soon as she stands on the towel tell her "GOOD PLACE" and give her a YUM. Do this for a couple of days.
-Next have her come to her PLACE and have her lay down on it. She will be a little confused at first "Hey I used to get a YUM just for coming over here" kind of thing. Tell her down. As soon as she lays down tell her "GOOD PLACE" and give her a YUM. Do this a couple of days.
-Next stand by the PLACE and tell her PLACE and see what she does. Point and say down if needed to get her on the towel in a down. YUM as soon as she does it.
-Next will be the staying on the PLACE with you building up the amount of time she is staying. Tell her to stay with you right beside the towel. Do this a couple of times. After that move away from the towel a bit but still fairly close. Do this bit by bit until she will stay there even when you are not right there.

While you are teaching PLACE inside you will be working on her coming and sitting outside to build up her outside training. Once she comes and sits on command outside then move to come and down.

Once she learns PLACE solid inside AND comes and sits/downs outside you move the towel outside and teach PLACE outside.

You can use a dog bed instead of a towel but a towel will be easier to pick up and clean but you know what your dog likes to lay on.

Now if she just will NOT come to you outside you can get one of those long, training lines (NOT a retractable leash). They are very light and long. You can attach it to her leash so that when you call her to come you can reel her in to give her the YUM.

Does this sound doable with her? If she is half as smart as she is cute she will get this in no time!!

Thank you kimkats, we will definitely start working on that! I am sure she will learn place very quickly indoors, outdoors is another story...

I just got a notification my test kit will be arriving Wednesday. I have been adding enough bleach as per the pool math app to have 10 ppm FC since Saturday.
Would it be okay if I didn't do that tonight and tomorrow and saved my bleach for Wednesday to start slamming? I am running low and bought out all the 10% pool chlorine walmart had. I can pick up some 6% if needed however.
I also picked up stabilizer, Muriatic acid, and baking soda. Not sure what I'll actually be needing.

It is up to you but I do worry about you losing what ground you have gained so far. In my eyes it would be worth it to keep pressing on and get more chlorine so long as it is fresh stuff.

Well if doggy will not learn PLACE out side she can be long lined until she does learn it LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are videos!!! Here are my tips:
pH-hold something white behind it or hold it up to a white wall to help make the color match.
-CH-it will "flash" a change of color. Keep going until the change sticks.
FC-once you are done with the test don't worry if it goes back to pink. No big deal.
CYA-oh how I hated this test until I figured this out! GLANCE!! GLANCE in only when looking at the dot. Pour the mixture in one line at a time. GLANCE in. If you see the dot pour to the next line, GLANCE in. Keep going until you don't see the dot at a GLANCE.

I hope this helps!

Okay. I hope I didn't mess up. Went slow. I brought the water inside for a bit and the temp was 69 degrees.

free chlorine test: 8.5
combined chloramines test: 1.5
Calcium hardness test: 125
PH: 6.8 or lower. I attached some photos of this test. Very clear.
total alkalinity test: 50
CYA test: I don't think there is any. The tube stayed completely clear. Attached pic if it helps.
I am not sure what the other test in the black container is called? Another chlorine test I know. Very hard to tell but it is either 3 - 6 or 5 - 10. Leaning towards 5 - 10, attached photos
IMG_0583.jpgIMG_0584.jpgIMG_0585.jpg

Hey Strawberry, not sure if Kim is away from her computer, so I figured I'd pop in for now. Good job on those tests. Here's what I would do for now:
- FC: Nothing. Plenty strong with no CYA.
- CC: I'll come back to that.
- CH: Good. Actually N/A for vinyl unless it gets too high, so you're fine.
- PH: Too low for sure. If you have some Borax around you can use that, or a little Soda Ash which will also raise the TA a little. If you have a away to aerate the water and create good bubbling, aeration will raise the pH by itself. Get the pH into the mid 7s if you can, at least to a good solid 7.2 orange area.
- TA: No lower than 50. It shouldn't drop, so you should be fine. But if it creeps-up that's fine.
- CYA: You need some stabilizer. Use PoolMath to help you add some. You want a minimum CYA of 30, so you can use the PoolMath to add enough for 30ppm, or just 20 ppm in case you believe there was some CYA in there before. Use the sock-soaking method (below).

About that CC ... it's elevated. It's odd since your chlorine is quite strong right now. Might just be a first time testing thing or unusual occurrence. Watch it though. Hopefully tomorrow it will be 0.5 or less.

Adding CYA:

To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Thanks Texas!
I assumed the CC was high due to the state of the pool (it's green), and my need to start the slam process, or is that incorrect? Photo of my pool currently.

On had I have:
8lbs of stabilizer. this one:
Clorox Pool&Spa Pool Chlorine Stabilizer, 4 lbs - Walmart.com

9 gallons of 10% pool chlorine. this one:
Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid - Walmart.com
Going to pick up more when they restock.

Lots of baking soda and some muriatic acid.

I'd like to start the slam process tonight so I'm going to head to walmart and pick up something to raise some PH and see if they have anymore chlorine in. It looks like I can get:
Clorox Pool&Spa pH Up Pool pH Increaser, 4 lbs - Walmart.com

To raise the PH. And the pool math app is advising adding 10lbs to reach 7.2, does that sound about right?
Also wondering if I might need to grab more of that stabilizer. Pool app says add 6lbs to reach 30, and I've got 8lbs on-hand.

edit:
Looks like I may have to add the CYA and wait 48 hours to start the slam?

Attachments

• IMG_0577.jpg
    IMG_0577.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 83
To raise the PH. And the pool math app is advising adding 10lbs to reach 7.2, does that sound about right?
Maybe use half at first. Let it mix for about 30 min and test again. I'd hate for you to go too high on the pH only to have to lower again for pre-SLAM prep at 7.2. The Walmart Clorox stabilizer is fine. They always have it in 4lb containers if you need more. But try to shoot for a CYA of 30 if you can so that your FC (bleach) requirement will only be 12.

Regarding your Edit...No on the waiting 48 hours after adding CYA to SLAM. The 48 hours is only for if you were to retest, then it would show up in testing by that timeframe (it dissolves slowly).

Go ahead and SLAM and assume it’s there at the projected level you were shooting for.

Thank you b and Pat for stepping in! :hug: a fine job you did getting her heading in the right direction. Made it easy for me LOL

Strawberry, you are correct the cc is because your pool still has some green in it. It is already lighting up so that means you are well on your way to a clear pool! You have done a great job so far!

Lots of baking soda and some muriatic acid.
You won't need a lot of muriatic acid, your TA & PH are low, not high :)
Baking soda, possibly. ;)

I'd like to start the slam process tonight so I'm going to head to walmart and pick up something to raise some PH and see if they have anymore chlorine in. It looks like I can get:
Clorox Pool&Spa pH Up Pool pH Increaser, 4 lbs - Walmart.com
You can get the washing soda in the laundry aisle for a fraction of the price :)(2 Pack) Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda Booster, 55 Oz - Walmart.com

And in PoolMath it shows 52oz of washing soda (or like 3lbs 8oz) for 25000gals

Right, I made a typo or something earlier! I redid the math in the app before adding anything and broadcast 3lbsish in the deep end of the ph up. I’ve had the CYA soaking in thin hosiery for a couple of hours, it’s about 70% dissolved. Going to go squish it when I retest.

I added enough bleach as per the app late last night to reach 12, going to retest in a bit. It was super late so I didn’t have time to stay up and test after!

Right, I made a typo or something earlier! I redid the math in the app before adding anything and broadcast 3lbsish in the deep end of the ph up. I’ve had the CYA soaking in thin hosiery for a couple of hours, it’s about 70% dissolved. Going to go squish it when I retest.

I added enough bleach as per the app late last night to reach 12, going to retest in a bit. It was super late so I didn’t have time to stay up and test after!
You are doing great!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.