I've got a mess - please help.

Yes. As per what I posted earlier.

pH is your only wild card. Should be in the 7's to not cause eye and skin discomfort. But you need a pH test pen to check it.

Reactions: proavia
Yes. As per what I posted earlier.

pH is your only wild card. Should be in the 7's to not cause eye and skin discomfort. But you need a pH test pen to check it.
hmmm, the PH test that comes with the FT pro isn't accurate? Is there a better than other pen to purchase?

The drop pH test in the K1000 is only good to a FC of 10 ppm.

Members have reported that the Apera 20 or 60 are good pH pens.

Reactions: proavia
Im doing another exchange. It just dawned on me.... This is a great time to switch the light to LED. Any of you have a recommendation for a color eld swap?

How is your water table (high/low)?
If your CYA is presently at 160, a two-thirds drain/refill will get your CYA in the 50-60 range.

K1000 pH test is only accurate if FC is 10 or less.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That will be a bulb.
See the single screw at the top of the stainless ring? When you are ready, take that screw out. The ring will swing down. The light assembly will come out and the cord should be long enough you can set the assembly on the deck.
You then need to find out what model assembly it is, and get a bulb and gasket for it.

If you did a full exchange of water and your CYA only dropped 20 ppm, you have a testing issue.

Reactions: Bperry
If you did a full exchange of water and your CYA only dropped 20 ppm, you have a testing issue.
While I tend to agree - this is what I've been stumped about. I REALLY think the residual "purple stuff" has CYA in it. It is like sand. I can brush it and in 1 second, it's settled again.

Here's my CYA test method - I put 7.5 of pool water in the bottle.
I fill to 15 with tap water
I drain off to 7.5
I fill to 15 with R0013
I cap and shake - wait 30 seconds and shake once more
Then I go outside with the CYA tube at waste level, back to the sun, then fill the tube until I no longer see the black dot....

What am I doing wrong?
I dont see where Im testing incorrectly - I think the guy just flooded the pool with CYA trying to keep it from turning green. He's been fired from every pool in the neighborhood for a reason.

Here's my CYA test method - I put 7.5 of pool water in the bottle.
I fill to 15 with tap water
I drain off to 7.5
I fill to 15 with R0013
I cap and shake - wait 30 seconds and shake once more
Then I go outside with the CYA tube at waste level, back to the sun, then fill the tube until I no longer see the black dot....

What am I doing wrong?
I dont see where Im testing incorrectly - I think the guy just flooded the pool with CYA trying to keep it from turning green. He's been fired from every pool in the neighborhood for a reason.
Is there a chance your CYA was lots higher prior to the water exchange? Tap water has zero CYA so it would be impossible to replace all the water and still have CYA in it. Are you sure you replaced all of it?

Reactions: mknauss
Is there a chance your CYA was lots higher prior to the water exchange? Tap water has zero CYA so it would be impossible to replace all the water and still have CYA in it. Are you sure you replaced all of it?
Im sure it was WAY higher when I started. I just started doing the diluted test today.... When I first tested I couldn't see the dot after only a few drops.
It was CRAZY high in the beginning.

Im sure it was WAY higher when I started. I just started doing the diluted test today.... When I first tested I couldn't see the dot after only a few drops.
It was CRAZY high in the beginning.
You didn’t drain it all at once correct? You drained half, filled it back up and then drained half again and filled it back up, correct? Since you have a fiberglass pool you need to be very careful if you drain it completely. If I’m not mistaken certain precautions have to be taken to prevent the sides from bowing in. I don’t own a fiberglass pool, if Im wrong, someone will correct me.

You didn’t drain it all at once correct? You drained half, filled it back up and then drained half again and filled it back up, correct? Since you have a fiberglass pool you need to be very careful if you drain it completely. If I’m not mistaken certain precautions have to be taken to prevent the sides from bowing in. I don’t own a fiberglass pool, if Im wrong, someone will correct me.
Correct - I drained it down between 1/3 and a half - three times now. The first time I did it was several days ago, then I did it again 2 days ago, let it mix for 24 hours and did it again. I just turned the pump to the higher setting to mix it better. Will test again in a few hours.

Reactions: Orion7319
ok, now we're making progress.
First CYA was a 2:1 dilute - tested between 40 and 50
repeated non-dilute and got between 90-100.
FC is 19....
I only have my SWCG set to 20%, and leave my pump running 24/7... I guess turn the SWCG back to 10%?

That will be a bulb.
See the single screw at the top of the stainless ring? When you are ready, take that screw out. The ring will swing down. The light assembly will come out and the cord should be long enough you can set the assembly on the deck.
You then need to find out what model assembly it is, and get a bulb and gasket for it.

I should have done the bulb swap before now... I dont want to drain it anymore. I bet my water bill will be $1000 this month.

You do not have to drain to remove that light fixture.
not to derail my own thread, but curiosity got me and I took the light out.
The green snot like junk that came out of the housing was disgusting!
Anyway, the gasket looks pretty bad. Im going to run to the local pool store to see if they have the LED that I want and replacement gasket.
I did notice "fresh water only" on the housing. Is this a problem since I converted to salt water?

Attachments

• pool light.jpg
    pool light.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0054.jpeg
    IMG_0054.jpeg
    443.9 KB · Views: 7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.