I've Failed - Black Algae - Clear Water

Thank you!!! Looking forward to being a better owner!! Refill ended at 4:30am and pump has been running now for 3hrs. Im eager so I got out my kit to test - mostly for fun knowing I'm heading to a SLAM.

Ph 7.2-7.4
CL 1

FC 7.5
Cc 0
Ta 40
Ch 500
CYA 90 and maybe higher. I did it a few times... And it's certianly not any lower than 90.

So........... My goal of the drain was to get my CYA down, but unless the water needs more turns, I'm at a loss..
I'm going to go brush the black algae spots.....

Any thoughts?

The CYA test only goes to 100... so it was probably much higher.

When I joined TFP mine was 140 (I used the dilution method to determine this). It took me 3 partial drains to get down to 70.

You can do another partial drain and refill, otherwise your SLAM level is around 40ppm. That's alot of chlorine!

Edit - whatever you decide, decide soon and be sure to adjust that TA wherever it ends up if you do drain more water. TA that low can cause shifts in PH.

I hate to sound like a newbie, which I am, but what is a "SLAM"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Go to Pool School in the forum in a browser, not tapatalk. Lots of information including the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Basically the SLAM is a process we use to ensure all the nasties (like algae) in the pool are eradicated without putting your pool or equipment at risk (like many pool stores might with their massive chlorine, nuclear option recommendations)

Thank you!!! Looking forward to being a better owner!! Refill ended at 4:30am and pump has been running now for 3hrs. Im eager so I got out my kit to test - mostly for fun knowing I'm heading to a SLAM.

Ph 7.2-7.4
CL 1

FC 7.5
Cc 0
Ta 40
Ch 500
CYA 90 and maybe higher. I did it a few times... And it's certianly not any lower than 90.

So........... My goal of the drain was to get my CYA down, but unless the water needs more turns, I'm at a loss..
I'm going to go brush the black algae spots.....

Any thoughts?

What is CL reading, testing for? I keep seeing it referred to, but my TF-100 kit does not mention CL.

Slight pause in the program. I'll keep the brush moving and the Walmart jugs flowing, but being pulled in another direction for most of next week. I bought a new combo nylon/SS brush and small SS brush = instant results!!! New dropper test kit. I wasn't using Same brand drops so, not 100% sure it was accurate. The tubes said 5 drops and the drops said 4; mixed info... To eliminate that variable, got a new basic kit. Ph is fine and added 4 Walmart 10% this morning. Removed filter grids and recharged with DE... Running pump 24/7.

Thanks for all the help - I hate to delay this, but it won't be long. Just snapped these pictures of the improvement (night and day). And our pal that tracks pounds of white sand into the pool!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 45

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.