It's time for VS pump, need help deciding which one?

adhanani

Aug 22, 2019
Round Rock, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi Everyone,

In the past I've reached out here to discuss switching over from Jandy Stealth 2.5HP single speed pump to a VSP. Well the time as arrived. The other day I noticed two pin hole leaks in the pump body. I could try to replace the pump body but long term, best bet is to just replace it with a VSP.

Currently I have Zodia/Jandy Aqualink automation but as far as I can tell, my system doesn't have the ability to control a VSP. Previously @HermanTX had pointed out that in the PDA, I could select a VSP, even an Intelliflo but my PDA doesn't have that option as suggested.

So here are my options, as I see it:

Option 1: Upgrade to iAqualink with the IQ30 RS upgrade kit and install a Pentair Intelliflo VSF 3HP (011056). If my understanding is correct, I will be able to control the variable speed settings from the app.

Option 2: Skip the automation upgrade. Install a Pentair Intelliflo3, and use the Pentair Home App to control the pump. Would I have issue when switching over to SPA mode? Would I need to manually switch off the pump, go to SPA mode and then start pump at higher RPM?

Option 3: Upgrade to iAqualink with the IQ30 RS upgrade kit and install a Jandy ePump? This option is my least research option but likely would require least amount of re-plumbing? Suggestions on a Jandy pump?

Any other options?

As seen in the attached pictures, I am concerned about the plumbing as the Heater inlet/outlet are really close to the pump without much clearance for the keypad on top the VSP. Thoughts regarding this?

20210812_140526.jpg20230110_151142.jpg20210812_140541.jpeg20230110_152139.jpg20221110_081624.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
With a spillover spa you really want the automation to be able to vary the pump speed as modes change.

Option 1 and 3 are the same just with the question of Pentair or Jandy VS pump?

There is Option 4 which I did and and leave Jandy and replace the Aqualink with a Pentair IntelliCenter and a Pentair VS pump. The IntelliCenter is far superior to an Aqualink and will be much more future proof.

Jandy VS pumps are fine. You have to go through a Jandy dealer to buy it and for service and support. Jandy does not sell them online or warranty them if not installed by an authorized installer.

If you have Jandy stuff you play by Jandy rules.

Option 1: Upgrade to iAqualink with the IQ30 RS upgrade kit and install a Pentair Intelliflo VSF 3HP (011056). If my understanding is correct, I will be able to control the variable speed settings from the app.
This is exactly what I did. All works fine to set pump speeds, set schedules, freeze protection, etc.

I had a PDA system, but it may have been a later version than yours as I was able to control a Pentair IntelliFlo pump.
I upgraded the pump first and picked it because my PDA did interface with it. Then several months later, my PDA died and I opted to spend the money towards an upgrade to the RS30 system rather than spending money on a new PDA.

Option 3: Upgrade to iAqualink with the IQ30 RS upgrade kit and install a Jandy ePump? This option is my least research option but likely would require least amount of re-plumbing?
This is a viable option and the Jandy ePump is good based on reviews I have seen.

Not sure if the Pentair pump allows for control of speeds via relay inputs, but if so - and if you have unused relay slots in your iAqualink system - that would be another option for controlling a VS pump without necessarily needing to upgrade your iAqualink system.

I have a Calimar VSP with an automation adapter, and my iAqualink system controls it with relays just fine.

Another option is to go with a 3rd party variable speed motor that has digital inputs for speed settings you can easily do this with either iAqualink or Intellicenter. This can be a less expensive way to go. But if you have the money I like the Pentair pump options.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.