It's Shocking!

Feb 9, 2011
Central Texas
Well, looks like it is time for a good shock. I thought I was staying on top of things, but missed a step or two. First, I did not ramp up the filter time on the pool as the weather and water warmed up. That mainly effected the clarity, but I also lost a lot of CYA over the winter. That I did not expect based on what I have read. Ended up having dull water and some algae present in the shallow end (mostly evident by dust when I brush). I added one lb of CYA a couple of weeks ago and it is now reading 35. I would like to get to 40 - 45 so will be adding more later.

I took apart the filter and gave it a proper cleaning this weekend and it was gummed up. Odd that it did not read higher pressure, but certainly was evident in the lower flow to the returns. I was getting 700 watts at 2500 RPM on the pump. There was a green tint to the top layer of DE. I did the overnight last night and lost 2. Currently shocking. The water looks great since I cleaned the filter and my flow is back (1000 watts at 2500 RPM). I also do not have any algae spots on the plaster so I am expecting this to be a short fight.

Thanks to Sam's for keeping bleach prices low!

loweran said:
That mainly effected the clarity, but I also lost a lot of CYA over the winter. That I did not expect based on what I have read.
Besides other possible suspects like large water changes due to winterization, heavy rain, etc., the current theory is that this may be caused by an anaerobic soil bacteria that can grow when the pool is covered and FC levels are zero.

loweran said:
I did the overnight last night and lost 2. Currently shocking. The water looks great since I cleaned the filter and my flow is back (1000 watts at 2500 RPM). I also do not have any algae spots on the plaster so I am expecting this to be a short fight.
Hope so, but at least you know what to do if it goes longer :cheers:

FC - 15.5 @ 6:20 (My target was 14, but must have overshot a little :) I gave it a good brushing and am running the cleaner.

I don't cover and keep the pool balanced all year, although I did keep much lower FC during the colder months. We did get some rain this spring and I did have to pump out several inches over the spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.