Bronze Supporter
Apr 16, 2019
Bremen, GA, 65 m west of Atlanta
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Finally! The big oak tree in the front yard is coming down tomorrow! That means no more tiny acorns, leaves, and random twigs and branchlets coming down on the lawn, cars, and most importantly the POOL!!!

The thing is over 100 years old and beginning to rot from the inside. We had an arborist out to check it about 6 mos ago, and he recommended it come down.

So we've moved the cars to the side of the house, covered the pool, and we're ready for the Great De-Treeing!

Now to cut back those two darn hibiscuses... dropping blossoms and leaves in the pool...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Newdude
My old house had over 100 oaks on the acre when we moved in. I dropped half of them over 15 years. Many times I had to drop one or even 2 healthy trees to make room for the bad ones to go. More often than not, the 'good tree' was as hollow as a flute with 3 or 4 inches left of the outside trunk. 100 ft tall and going strong through all our east coast storms.

Now sticks ? OMG the sticks !!!!!! And they all dropped 'branches' that were bigger than most people's trees, but the trunks were insanely strong even when hollow.

All 4 of us had our reasons for moving. Mine was the oaks. The pollen, The flowery snots, the leaves, the part time logging operation.

I don't miss it one bit. Easier to rebuild the pool. :ROFLMAO:

They've been here since 8 am, it's now 1054 am ET, and have most of the branches over the house and pool down. No damage to the pool -- YAY!! They're really moving fast, a lot faster than I expected.

I imagine they'll have it down to just a trunk by noon, if not sooner. What's surprising me is they're chipping it all up -- I thought they'd cut it up for firewood, but apparently not. That chipper is handling chunks of wood more than 18 inches across, too.

They've quit for now, I guess to take a break and empty the dump truck the chipper was discharging into. At least it's quiet out there. FOR NOW!!

Just skylarking, but I was wondering what tree to plant in its place. I think a weeping willow would look lovely there, especially if it didn't dip wands over the pool. A mimosa would be pretty, too, but the leaves, seed pods and umbels? No Thank You!

Just kidding. No tree in its place, unless we think it needs one.

Congrats!!! Yes, pictures please.

I'll be the hippy and suggest maybe planting another native tree or two elsewhere on your property if you have the room. Especially if you have kids, they will love watching it grow over time and leaving something behind that'll outlast them. Gives them a new perspective.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I was closer I’d ask for a cord or two. Oak is my favorite wood to burn. As for those lichen covered sticks, I gather them throughout the year because the smell of them burning is absolutely glorious. I use them to start my fires.

Well, it's done. The base of the trunk was almost rotted through. The supervisor of the team said a good strong wind could have taken it down just about any time. So good thing we took it down!

They finished up around 2. That was amazing! DH and I would have sworn it would have taken until dark to finish!

BYE BYE tree and it's mess!!!
timber GIF

• Haha
Reactions: bioguy and Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.