Kelowna, British Columbia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
It's exciting, liner went in today and it's filling up. Hoping it will be swimmable by the weekend. Just going to order my test kit from amazon, wasn't expecting it to be ready so quickly, and I"m not quite sure what the builder's plans are for getting the initial levels correct, but once he's done his thing, I'll take over with the TFP way.

They still have to do the electrical, running power out and installing the panel, but otherwise, things are pretty close to being done. Plumbing is all done, filter, pump, heater, and ozone are all hooked up.

Attachments

• poolfilling.jpg
    poolfilling.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 11
Great news! If you can, ask the PB what they intend to add to the pool? And if possible can they just give it to you to use (or not use, as the case may be?) and then you can follow TFP method from the start!

Or worse case they say they have to put it in so you just take note of what it is and how much they added. That's helpful too!

Maddie :flower:

He just did some chlorine pucks and some shock.
Test kit arrived today, after about 5 days of using the pool. FC is low at 0.5, so for now I just turned the chlorinator up a little. TA was at 160, but from what I've read, no reason to adjust that just yet. I'll be picking up some chlorine in the next few days. The app suggested even the fairly weak (4.25%) stuff from Walmart I'd only need 3 cups to get up to the proper level. So much cheaper than using the pucks.

Did the PB put salt in the pool?? You don't mention that important ingredient.

You need to give the FC a kick-start using liquid chlorine, you need to raise that FC up fast or you risk algae. The SWG, while great, doesn't work fast enough to bring up the FC from scratch. You have to do it yourself (with the liquid) and then let it maintain the FC.

I would suspect a 17,000 gal pool might need more than 3 cups? Let your testing confirm this.

I don't see anything about a SWG. You don't need salt unless you have one. You said chlorinator and pucks so I'm assuming you have pucks in the chlorinator and not a salt water generator. You need to keep an eye on the CYA level if you continue to use pucks. Three cups of bleach does sound too low depending on your FC level. I use 12.5% and more than three cups on a daily basis.

Oh darn, you're right DorsalSPine!..... I read "chlorinator" and assumed "Salt Water Chlorinator" since we don't usually encourage folks to use those *other kind*, y'know??

Ignore the salt comment. Stop using the pucks.... go for liquid. Lots of it as needed :)

yeah, no SWG, though it's something I'll think about for next year, just not in the budget right now.

I'll check the FC level again today and if it's not up, I'll add some bleach per the app.

Edit: also need to pick up some CYA right away. It wasn't registering at all in the test, and the builder hasn't added any.

Last edited: