Issues With Pentair ScreenLogic Connect App on iOS 12.0

Hanstb

Gold Supporter
Sep 20, 2018
Miami, FL
Hello,

I am experiencing anomalous behavior from the Pentair ScreenLogic Connect App after upgrading my iPhone & iPad to iOS 12.0, I am curious if any other users are experiencing similar problems?

iPhone X & iPad Air both running iOS 12.0, both experiencing identical issues.
ScreenLodgic Connect App V7.2
Protocol Adaptor Version 5.2 Build 736.0 Rel
IntelliTouch i5S Firmware V1.160

1. Pool/Spa temperature settings do not correspond to actual temperature settings, when I attempt to change the settings, they change momentarily and then revert to the erroneous setting.

2. Anytime I go to the "Intellichem" page, the app sets the Cyanuric Acid to "0", if I attempt to enter the correct value, it will set it back to "0" automatically.

The temperature settings do not correspond to the settings on the native display or the PC app, that is the settings are correct on the controller and the PC app, neither the changes made to the temperature on the app nor the anomalous values displayed are transferred to the controller. However, the CYA value does update the controller, every time I open the app and select the Intellichem page, I must go to the PC app and correct my CYA value back from zero.

I am attaching 4 images to help illustrate what I am seeing, these screenshots where taken at the same time without making any adjustments.

I have been using this hardware/software for several years without issue, all I can assume is this is a consequence of the recent iOS 12.0 update.

Any input from the forum would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_7136.jpgIMG_7137.jpgPC2.jpgPc1.jpg

Last edited:
Flying Tivo, I have been using the upgraded ScreenLogic app for some time prior to the iOS 12.0 update and never noticed any issues, that is what lead me to believe the problems where caused by the iOS update.

I spoke to Pentair technical support (long wait time but very helpful support staff), the tech logged in to my system remotely and did not experience the same issues I am seeing, go figure!

On the advice of Pentair support, I deleted and reinstalled the app, this did not solve the issue. I then deleted the app, rebooted the phone, and reinstalled the app, this also did not solve the issue. I then, using the ScreenLogic Configurator (PC Software), switched from Celsius to Fahrenheit and then back to Celsius, and reconfigured the pool/spa heaters, that appears to have solved the Pool/Spa temperature issue, the CYA value reverting to zero was unaffected.

I regained normal control of temperature set points but still have the CYA value anomaly, this is an improvement since I monitor pool chemistry independently from the Intellichem system. It is my understanding that the CYA value is not important as it only serves to generate the "Water Balance" number which to the best of my knowledge does not affect the operation of the controller. I may be completely wrong on my understanding, so please don't take my comments as fact, and any advice is certainly welcome.

I would still like to hear from other users if you happen to see similar issues with your software, and I will post again if I make any progress with the CYA issue.

Best regards

i am running ios12 on 4 diff ipads and on a iphone X. no issues.

i haven't has a problem logging in over wifi or data.

i assume ur firmwares are all up to date since they logged in to you. when they did that for me they updated my firmware on my adapter. so i would think they would do the same.

i know the app was updated 2 days ago. so i also assume urs is updated cause u manually deleted and reinstalled.

I performed a few more tests, and while I was unable solve the CYA value issue, I did discover new details.

I hadn't noticed that the ScreenLogic Connect app was updated (thank you jimm) on September 24th from V.7.1 to V.7.2, my devices update automatically and I did not notice the blue dot (a blue dot is appended to the app name when an update is performed on an iOS device, the dot disappears after the app is opened for the first time after the update), I am also unable to recall if the issues I am having where present between September 17th (the date of the iOS 12.0 update) and September 24th, the first time I noticed this issue was on September 25th. I am now much more suspicious of ScreenLogic Connect V.7.2 and my device firmware, than I am of the iOS 12.0 update, more on why in minute.

Upon initially detecting the problem, the first thing I did before posting to the forum and contacting Pentair, was check that the software was up to date, the fact the app was a new release escaped notice but it was up to date none the less.

My system software is as follows:
ScreenLodgic Connect App V7.2
Protocol Adaptor Version 5.2 Build 736.0 Rel

When the service tech at Pentair logged into my system, he did not see any issues, and the protocol adaptor is running the current firmware. I did mention to him that my IntelliTouch i5S Firmware V1.160 was not the most current version (I do not have the capability to perform this update nor update the Intellichem controller myself) but as he was not able to recreate the problem on his end, he concluded that fact alone did not have any effect on my issue.

I have been unable to locate a company locally that has the necessary tools to upgrade my firmware (including the original builder/installer), I am researching alternatives to do this myself, I am aware of the threads here on TFP that deal with this topic.

Once I realized the ScreenLogic Connect app had been updated, I ran one more test, I revived an old iPhone that was still running iOS 11.xx and installed the ScreenLogic Connect app, to my surprise, the problem was present, this leads me to conclude that my problem is being caused by the ScreenLogic V.7.2 update and not the iOS 12.0 update. Unfortunately I have no way of reverting the app to V.7.1 for testing purposes. Additionally, I can only assume the technician at Pentair was utilizing V.7.2 and was unable to replicate the problem, and I have verified that my problem persists regardless of whether or not I login locally or remotely, so I’m stumped.

In a bid to find a solution, I have tried this from all our family devices, I’ll spare you the details, but I have now tested over 8 individual iOS devices, all the same issue.

If it where not for Pentair’s tech support staff successfully logging in remotely and not seeing the same issue, I would conclude the problem was related to the combination of ScreenLogic V.7.2 and my firmware versions, but as it is, I can’t be sure.

I will make every effort to update my Intellitouch and Intellichem firmware and see where that takes me; in the meanwhile the pool is clean and clear, although I am slowly raising the CYA level to coincide with the TFP Chlorine / CYA chart recommendation of 70 (FC is kept @ +/- 3.5).

Thank you once again for the replies.

Best regards

i didn't realize u had the new panel. i am using an easytouch 4 so maybe it's coming from a combo of the new panel and app. i didn't realize the new panel uses the same screen logic app. i figured it would be diff.

how accurate is the probes used for the levels on the intelichem? i mean i don't trust my inteliclor numbers as far as i can throw it. it's always 200-500 off depending on temp. so what i'm saying r u using the proper test kit t ojust make sure u are in range anyway?

Jimim, My suspicion is just that, the combination of software and firmware on my installation is not playing nice. I ordered the components to update my Intellitouch and Intellichem; hopefully that solves this issue.

I have seen frequent but minor problems with the Pentair applications for both iOS and Mac OS over the years, it never seems to be perfect, but this is the first time it has affected system operation.

As to your question, the probes are consistent, the values they report do not coincide perfectly with manual test results, but the variance is consistent, so I can account for that in the settings. Additionally, the system does not hold the set point accurately, so I manipulate the settings to align them as best as possible with my actual test results. Probes do require cleaning on occasion, and in my experience, last only two to three years in service.

The pH reading from the probe is consistently within +/- 0.2 from the manual test (more often than not, actual is 0.2 above the probe reading), I feel that is within the margin of error for both the test and the probe. If I tweak the probe to match the test, I can align both, but as pool chemistry, temperature and the like change, the reading will diverge slightly but never outside the normal range, so I just don’t mess with it anymore.

ORP is another story, the reading is useful if, and only if, I keep a close eye on the FC/CC levels in the pool, the Intellichem/Intellichlor/ORP sensor combo is not capable of properly and accurately managing chlorine levels in the pool on its own. However, if you balance the water properly, the system seems to hold the balance for quite a while without manual intervention, direct testing is still required on a regular basis, but I seldom have to manipulate chlorine levels or mess with the automation settings.

I have been balancing my pool water as per the Pentair guidance for the past 6+ years since the system was installed with acceptable results, but I never felt it was perfect, or at least not the best possible practice, that’s what lead me to research this topic further, and ultimately to this forum.

I am right now in the process of transitioning my pool to the water balance parameters recommended by TFP, in my case that means increasing my CYA from 30ppm to 70ppm and increasing the FC level from 3.5 to 5ppm.

I have read numerous critical reviews of the Intellichem system and the use of ORP as a measure of sanitizer levels in the pool water, I believe much of what I have read and may ultimately abandon the ORP side of the system, but I want to make a results based determination on my system before pulling the plug.

As to the test kit I use, it’s a HACH Pool Master Test Kit #2315001, it’s a good kit but it’s limited as to the chlorine levels it is able to test without diluting the sample. I just ordered a TF-100 test kit form tftestkits.net, while I don’t expect the majority of the test results to vary a measurable amount, the Taylor FAS-DPD test will make testing FC/CC levels more practical and accurate, this will facilitate maintaining a FC level of 5.0ppm (the HACH kit I currently use is limited to 0–3.4 ppm).

I am a novice at this (and that may be a generous assertion), as I acquire greater familiarity and experience with pool water chemistry and best practices, I will adjust my technique accordingly. I have generally been happy with our pool water, and we have always been able to enjoy the pool when whenever we like, but I realize there is room for improvement and I am willing to put forth the effort to achieve the best possible results for the health of the family and the enjoyment of our pool.

Thank you once again for the input, and as always, I welcome any and all advice.

Best regards

That’s a really good overview of the system. My buddy has it and really liked it. It’s his second season with it and so far he is happy. Hasn’t had any issues. Glad u r switching to this method of balancing. It really does make good sense. I think u will be very happy. It’s pretty easy too. The test kit is awesome.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.