Issue with sheer descent

Nicnat

Jun 2, 2019
Texas
Hello. Recently, our waterfall (sheer descent type) is not flowing out evenly with gaps of no water on 2 areas so the other areas are spraying out more water and pressure. We tried using a thin tool (like a hacksaw) to probe anything clog inside but there was no resistance that we felt. Any other option to fix this? Appreciate any recommendation. Thank you.104631

There’s a blockage there for sure. Can you access the sheer from the rear of that wall?

Last edited:
How far in did you put this thin tool? And did you move it across the entire horizontal opening? Did the tool reach all the way to the back of the sheer? You may have to try it a few times to clear out whatever is causing the issue.

In mine, there are thin spacers that run from the front to the back - spaced about 2-3 inches apart - that help direct the water and keep the upper and lower halves from collapsing together. Just work the tool around in the open spaces and eventually it should clean out the obstructions.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
We were having a minor issue with ours (well actually major issues... PB had to rip out original one that was leaking, and we are in the process of replacing it), but we had a unique opportunity to see it before the cap is re-poured...

Kinda hard to tell in this picture, but when it's flowing you can really see the spot that doesn't flow well, and has holes in the curtain:107731

How far in did you put this thin tool? And did you move it across the entire horizontal opening? Did the tool reach all the way to the back of the sheer? You may have to try it a few times to clear out whatever is causing the issue.

In mine, there are thin spacers that run from the front to the back - spaced about 2-3 inches apart - that help direct the water and keep the upper and lower halves from collapsing together. Just work the tool around in the open spaces and eventually it should clean out the obstructions.

I was surprised how small, and how far back the culprit was:

Even being able to see it, it was still tough to get out with a hacksaw blade (use carefully):

It was just a small piece of plastic stuck in there. Here's the offender once removed (penny for size):

After getting it out, the curtain on the sheer descent looks great again (the missing cap pieces still look horrible, but that's a different subject):

Great post and pictures!
Amazing how much one small piece of plastic can change the flow. Water always takes the path of least resistance.

We were having a minor issue with ours (well actually major issues... PB had to rip out original one that was leaking, and we are in the process of replacing it), but we had a unique opportunity to see it before the cap is re-poured...

Kinda hard to tell in this picture, but when it's flowing you can really see the spot that doesn't flow well, and has holes in the curtain:View attachment 107731

I was surprised how small, and how far back the culprit was:
View attachment 107733

Even being able to see it, it was still tough to get out with a hacksaw blade (use carefully):
View attachment 107734

It was just a small piece of plastic stuck in there. Here's the offender once removed (penny for size):
View attachment 107735

After getting it out, the curtain on the sheer descent looks great again (the missing cap pieces still look horrible, but that's a different subject):
View attachment 107736
Bumping an old thread. Curious, when they reinstalled the stone cap, did they apply mortor below and above the sheer descents or some form of caulk instead?

One or two of mine are leaking and I’m not sure if it’s the fact that something froze in there and cracked a sheer descent, or if as the mortar has been deteriorating it caused a crack (or maybe the weight of the stone cap pushing on the mortar as it deteriorated).

So am curious if the right installation method was to use some sort of more flexible silicone on the top as bottom of the sheer descents to protect it vs mortar.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.