Issue With New Fiberglass Pool & Scaling

Hey all -

First and foremost, I just wanted to thank everyone here that contributed in this thread. My pool is looking great, and we were able to swim this last weekend after following the SLAM process for two days.

Second, I do have a follow up question. The PB's tech showed up today and dumped about 6 bags of salt into the pool and finally turned on the SWCG. I just tested FC and it was at 1PPM, with 0 Combined Chlorine. Pool is a little cloudier, which he told me would be the case for a day after adding salt.

Should I be adding liquid chlorine or chlorine tablets? Or just let the salt work its way through? It's starting to look like a real pool and the scale/calcium carbonate is slowly starting to go away as the robot does some daily scrubbing and I chip in every day where I can.

I just want to make sure it stays that way after busting my butt this last week to make sure the water was balanced.

Thanks!

Hey all -

First and foremost, I just wanted to thank everyone here that contributed in this thread. My pool is looking great, and we were able to swim this last weekend after following the SLAM process for two days.

Second, I do have a follow up question. The PB's tech showed up today and dumped about 6 bags of salt into the pool and finally turned on the SWCG. I just tested FC and it was at 1PPM, with 0 Combined Chlorine. Pool is a little cloudier, which he told me would be the case for a day after adding salt.

Should I be adding liquid chlorine or chlorine tablets? Or just let the salt work its way through? It's starting to look like a real pool and the scale/calcium carbonate is slowly starting to go away as the robot does some daily scrubbing and I chip in every day where I can.

I just want to make sure it stays that way after busting my butt this last week to make sure the water was balanced.

Thanks!
Add liquid chlorine now & until u get the swg dialed in & the swg should be OFF for 24hrs when adding salt - it can burn it up.

If u don’t maintain fc levels above minimum for your cya at all times algae will grow & u will be doing the SLAM Process again. Waiting for the swg is a bad idea.
Salt generally doesn’t cloud the water - that’s likely algae.
Also that’s only about 1/2 of the salt u need
AE4F79A9-8E98-4135-8F54-01CCFE4107CA.png
Test the salt level with the k1766 kit in 24- 48 hrs then add however much PoolMath calls for to reach your target of 3000-3200 ppm

Reactions: norsehorse
If u don’t maintain fc levels above minimum for your cya at all times algae will grow & u will be doing the SLAM Process again. Waiting for the swg is a bad idea.
Salt generally doesn’t cloud the water - that’s likely algae.
Also that’s only about 1/2 of the salt u need
View attachment 450398
Test the salt level with the k1766 kit in 24- 48 hrs then add however much PoolMath calls for to reach your target of 3000-3200 ppm
Sounds good, thanks!

I just tested FC and it was at 1PPM, with 0 Combined Chlorine
it would be a shame to get through the SLAM, and then let your chlorine level drop that low, only to have to start all over again. Gotta keep the chlorine level up to match the FC/CYA Chart

Should I be adding liquid chlorine or chlorine tablets?
Liquid for sure. Keep adding it to the needed amount each day until you can turn on the SWCG and dial that in. The SWCG is gonna be great for maintaining the right chlorine level, but not the best to ramp it up quick, which is what you need now.

So I woke up today with an FC of 6.5. Should I be doing anything differently with my pool since it has an automatic cover? I was at 3ppm FC yesterday and pH was 7.6. Today it seems FC rose since the sun didn’t burn any off yesterday and pH rose to 7.8ish along with it.

So long as you’re above minimum for your cya-ideally @10% of cya FC/CYA Levels you’re good 👍🏻 I assume the swg is producing since fc rose? With the cover & the waning temps as well you will notice less daily consumption. Just adjust your swg to maintain the 10% or target range. If you fall short, dose with liquid chlorine & then see if the swg will maintain. Don’t wait on the swg to make up a deficit as they take too long & u don’t want stuff growing in that time. They are designed to be maintainers.

Reactions: norsehorse

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.