Issue With New Fiberglass Pool & Scaling

Once liquid chlorine is added, how long out should I expect to see cloudiness dissipate?
It really isn't as simple as defining this in hours, and not as simple as just adding chlorine and the cloudiness will go away.

The first step is to perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. This will tell you if you need to move forward with a SLAM. The SLAM Process is not generally a one/two-day event. If your water is cloudy, and your chlorine is low, the chances are high you have algae and the way top eradicate it is to SLAM the pool.

You will need to get a full set of results, after the overnight chlorine test, to see where you need to keep your chorine levels at during the SLAM. You have been trying to target a CYA level of 30, which is where you want to be before you begin. Also, make sure your PH is in check before you begin, because that test will be not reliable when the chlorine levels get over 10.

The simple answer is though, if you have algae, and need to SLAM, and you follow the process, the cloudiness will go away. If you cheat it, or shortcut it, the cloudiness will likely will return, so be diligent at it.

It really isn't as simple as defining this in hours, and not as simple as just adding chlorine and the cloudiness will go away.

The first step is to perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. This will tell you if you need to move forward with a SLAM. The SLAM Process is not generally a one/two-day event. If your water is cloudy, and your chlorine is low, the chances are high you have algae and the way top eradicate it is to SLAM the pool.

You will need to get a full set of results, after the overnight chlorine test, to see where you need to keep your chorine levels at during the SLAM. You have been trying to target a CYA level of 30, which is where you want to be before you begin. Also, make sure your PH is in check before you begin, because that test will be not reliable when the chlorine levels get over 10.

The simple answer is though, if you have algae, and need to SLAM, and you follow the process, the cloudiness will go away. If you cheat it, or shortcut it, the cloudiness will likely will return, so be diligent at it.
Sounds good, thanks. The contractor that's responsible for the auto cover came out, and he noticed the filter was making some noise. Turns out it needed to be backwashed, and it wasn't filtering at all. He said that could have been the reason for the cloudy water, on top of not having enough chlorine.

I just tested the FC level, and there's the same amount of FC in there now as there was this morning ( 0.4PPM) and that's after I've added the liquid chlorine around 3 hours ago. In order to get it up to 3PPM, do I need to add more liquid chlorination?

Note what your clean pressure is now & from now on backwash when pressure rises 25% over that.
For instance: my clean pressure is 10 psi,
25% of 10 is 2.5, so I should backwash when my pressure rises to 12.5 psi
It’s good the filter issue was addressed but the filter only mechanically removes some live/dead algae it does nothing to kill algae. It takes Slam level fc to do that. Currently u are likely just keeping things at bay with a daily dose of maintenance level fc. But Let’s see what the Overnight Chlorine Loss Testsays before going there.

I just tested the FC level, and there's the same amount of FC in there now as there was this morning ( 0.4PPM) and that's after I've added the liquid chlorine around 3 hours ago. In order to get it up to 3PPM, do I need to add more liquid chlorination?
Yes, add more LC.
did u add the cya yet? If not the sun ☀️ Consumes fc in short order.
There are 2 things that consume fc:
Algae/organics
&
The sun
The oclt will take the sun out of the equation.
The cya addition will slow the consumption from the sun down.
The average algae free pool with recommended cya levels uses 2-4ppm fc daily.
It seems u may be over that threshold.

Another possibility is that your chlorine is old. Did u check the date on the bottle?
You can also test 30 minutes after your addition to confirm it is as potent as it claims when u buy a new batch & adjust your dosing accordingly thereafter if it’s weak.

Yes, add more LC.
did u add the cya yet? If not the sun ☀️ Consumes fc in short order.
There are 2 things that consume fc:
Algae/organics
&
The sun
The oclt will take the sun out of the equation.
The cya addition will slow the consumption from the sun down.
The average algae free pool with recommended cya levels uses 2-4ppm fc daily.
It seems u may be over that threshold.
Thanks, no, not done the CYA yet because I wasn't sure if I could run them at the same time. Should I add the CYA first, or after?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just added a full bottle (5PPM) and 30 minutes later the FC is now at 6 PPM in the pool. It's also 6PM my time, so I'll use this as the bearing for the overnight chlorine test and wake up early to test tomorrow morning for an additional reading.

Reactions: Mdragger88
We left them in, so I may have to do another overnight test. However, the chlorine content was 3PPM this morning after being 6PPM 12 hours ago, so I'm guessing it would only skew it to the positive, not the negative?

We left them in, so I may have to do another overnight test. However, the chlorine content was 3PPM this morning after being 6PPM 12 hours ago, so I'm guessing it would only skew it to the positive, not the negative?
That is correct. Sounds like it’s SLAM Process time.
* arm yourself with lots of liquid chlorine
* get cya to 30ppm
* adjust ph to 7.2
Then raise fc to 12ppm (slam level for cya of 30) FC/CYA Levels
& do your best to keep it there as often as possible (at least 4xs a day if u can swing it)
For a successful SLAM Process
you need to continue to MAINTAIN Slam level fc for your cya until you meet ALL 3 end of slam criteria- the more often u test & replenish fc the faster it will go

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
the water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, etc.)
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

Reactions: gingrbredman
Thanks, any advantage to using Liquid CYA versus the powder?
It can be more convenient but It is more expensive. Also If you don’t need an entire gallons worth you may end up with an inaccurate dose because it has a tendency to glob up & get stuck inside the bottle so using a whole gallon at a time & rinsing the bottle in the pool thoroughly is recommended.

It can be more convenient but It is more expensive. Also If you don’t need an entire gallons worth you may end up with an inaccurate dose because it has a tendency to glob up & get stuck inside the bottle so using a whole gallon at a time & rinsing the bottle in the pool thoroughly is recommended.
It can save me the worry about the granules getting stuck in the filter and alleviate concerns about not backwashing for 48 hours, correct?

It can save me the worry about the granules getting stuck in the filter and alleviate concerns about not backwashing for 48 hours, correct?
That is not a problem if u use the sock method with the granular cya as mentioned earlier. It takes a couple of hours (less if u squeeze the sock often) for it to dissolve this way & is immediately in the bulk of your pool water.

That is not a problem if u use the sock method with the granular cya as mentioned earlier. It takes a couple of hours (less if u squeeze the sock often) for it to dissolve this way & is immediately in the bulk of your pool water.
Disregard, figured this one out.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.