Isolating Triton Sand filter for deep clean

K-Tanz

Apr 18, 2018
Phoenix/AZ
Hey all! I want to deep clean my Triton tr100 sand filter, but am unsure how to isolate the filter. I understand where the inlet and outlet ports are, and I am aware of the sticky thread showing the process, but I'm not sure how to go about isolating the inlet outlet from the system. Are there caps or plugs I can purchase once the ports are unhooked? I have attached a photo for reference.

I am getting disgusting white cloudy backwash from the filter and am hoping the deep clean will help. When the pump is running on startup it will even cycle this cloudy white nastiness through the returns. I'm hoping the deep clean process will get rid of this issue

Cloudy backwash
Triton filter

Thanks so much!

Hey all! I want to deep clean my Triton tr100 sand filter, but am unsure how to isolate the filter. I understand where the inlet and outlet ports are, and I am aware of the sticky thread showing the process, but I'm not sure how to go about isolating the inlet outlet from the system. Are there caps or plugs I can purchase once the ports are unhooked? I have attached a photo for reference.

I am getting disgusting white cloudy backwash from the filter and am hoping the deep clean will help. When the pump is running on startup it will even cycle this cloudy white nastiness through the returns. I'm hoping the deep clean process will get rid of this issue

Cloudy backwash
Triton filter

Thanks so much!
I Know I'm a little late to reply. But next time just remove the lid, put the filter in backwash "isolate the filter", then stir the sand with something like a pool brush while the pump is running, the filter in backwash. Do that until the water gets a little to high in the filter to keep your arm in then stop the pump. Or just keep stiring while the water flows over the lid openning. Focus on along the inside walls and below the laterals. Thats where your cloudy grey, filthy packed dirt is.
When your finished put the lid on and backwash again under pressure like normal.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.