Isolating Polaris Booster Fluid Line for Pump Service

Aug 18, 2013
Hi Folks I have a question about how to do repairs on a Polaris booster pump and stay dry while doing it. I have a 30K gallon in-ground with a spa that waterfalls into the pool.

Here's the story: My booster pump of 13 year finally died, so I bought a new motor and a replacement seal and o-ring kit.

My plan was to disconnect the fluidics and the power to the pump and bring the old pump unit in my garage where I can mount the new motor in the shade.

So I closed the valves on the main drains and the skimmers and I also plugged the port in the pool that the Polaris unit connects to.

When I disconnected the hose from the pump inlet water came gushing out. I figured it would stop after a while b/c everything was plugged, but it didn't. So I put a wine bottle cork into the hose which slowed the flow enough that I could take the old unit into the garage for the motor replacement work.

I mounted the new motor, brought the pump back out to the equipment pad and got ready to install the rebuilt unit.

Before I did that, I was thinking that the only other possibility of the source of the water flow is the pool return eyeballs, so I plugged those.

Upon taking the wine cork out of the hose to attach it to the pump inlet, again a surge of non-stop water flow.

So the question is: where is this water coming from? Was it coming from the spa (the valve to the spa return was not closed off)?

How does one isolate the Polaris cleaner's fluidics line so that the pump and/or the hose connections can be serviced without losing gallons of water?

yap,

If you will post a few pics of your equipment pad, and pool, I suspect we would be able to come up with a better answer..

Is the equipment pad above or below the water level in the pool?

Keep in mind that gravity does not care if the plumbing is on the suction side or the return side, if the water is higher than the opening, it will flow.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The equipment pad is below the pool and spa water levels. I didn't think to close the valve that would return flow to the spa for the waterfall. I'm thinking that this is where the flow was coming from. So, in order to isolate the booster pump fluidics for service all pool and spa returns should be plugged and all mains and skimmers should be closed off?

Attachments

• DSC01135.JPG
    DSC01135.JPG
    401.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 9
Yap,

Sounds correct to me.. You might also want to turn your multiport off so that you don't drain your filter.

I kind of like your idea of just sticking a cork in it..

Very nice set up you have there... thanks for the pics.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.