Is this the bleach I should use?

just called my 2 local pool stores, neither carry liquid chlorine because the shelf life is only a month... they of course carry the granuals that likely have trichlor in them

My local home depot and lowes doesn't have the liquid chlorine

Pool stores here will gladly sell you really old liquid chlorine. ?

i have some friends who work at a water treatment plant wonder if they could get me something that work?
Probably - chlorine is added to water treatment. You want Sodium Hypochlorite. Ideally in 10% or 12.5% concentration. I'm not sure what water treatment plants use to be honest.

is there a recommended product for CYA
Granulated Cyanuric acid - can be bought from lots of different places online. Add via putting into an old tube sock / something similar, tying it to a pole, dangling in front of a pool return. Squeeze every now and then.

ordered 3 gallons from ace, that should at least get me through for a while right? With a 12,300 gallon pool how much 10% should i expect to have to add on a daily basis
Depends on a lot of things. If your CYA level is appropriate to your climate and the amount of sun on the pool you can lose 2-4ppm daily. 2ppm would be about 1/4 gallon addition, 4ppm would be about 1/2 gallon addition. So a gallon would last about 2-4 days if the CYA is appropriate.

Is your TFT-100 in? If so, post full test results. :)

I just filled the pool with fresh city water, I just ordered my TFT-100 today so can't post any results, I was going to go ahead and add CYA and chlorine based on the assumption that the tap water has been sitting in there for 3 days now, with kids swimming two of those, so I assumed I could just add those two chemicals with an assumed current level of 0

When my TFT-100 comes in, I will test PH and TA and adjust accordingly

Is there anything wrong with these assumptions?

Your water may have some chlorine when filling from city water, but it won't be a lot. CYA will be 0 so if it's a fresh fill go ahead and add 30ppm of CYA as soon as you can get your hands on it. Without it that chlorine will burn off quickly, but if you go green you're going to need a LOT more chlorine to clean it up.

Definitely get some liquid chlorine in the pool right away. With the kids swimming for 2 days, there will surely be some organics that need to be sanitized. I would at least start with half a gallon of 10%, and add at least a quarter gallon daily till your test kit arrives.

Add around 3 to 4 Lbs of CYA granules. That should raise your level between 30 and 40 ppm. I use the clorox brand from Walmart. It goes for around $15 for 4 Lbs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was going to add CYA tonight to get it up to 40, should I stay at 30 instead? And then I was going to add in the Chlorine tomorrow night. Should I add both tonight? Also, we are expecting rain and cold weather the next 4 days, does that impact when and how much I add of either the CYA or the chlorine?

Reactions: Casey
Add them both right away. Don't take a chance of something starting to grow because you've got no free chlorine (FC) in the pool. Some might get burnt off, but it's better than getting an algae outbreak. I would go to at least 40 personally. It will make the chlorine last longer. I dosed mine to 50 here in San Jose, CA before I got a salt water generator. I found that at 50, the chlorine would hold much better than down at 30 or even 40.

Reactions: Casey
Start at 30. If you overshoot it's hard to get rid of it short of draining. You can add chlorine as soon as the CYA gets in, assuming it's at 30ppm as soon as you start it dissolving. Get it going ASAP, don't worry about the rain/cold. :) After a couple of days test it and see what it is, and add more if need be.

ordered 3 gallons from ace, that should at least get me through for a while right? With a 12,300 gallon pool how much 10% should i expect to have to add on a daily basis
I went through 4 gallons of liquid shock, 4 bags of standard shock and 6 bags of dichlor before my pool got cleaned. My problem was limited to pollen in the filter and no where to buy bleach except the 4 gallons that were limited to me by Leslie's pool.

The one (okay, 6) I got was labeled as concentrated bleach, which is the one I usually get. This year the bottle is smaller (86 oz) but stronger, 8% I believe. Mine had a limit 2 sign, but I figured they could only tell me no, and i took 6 to the self check. Hey, i'm not hoarding after all, every bit of it is going to use.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.