Is this some sort of algae or a stain?

dsg2003gt

Nov 12, 2022
Florida
Hi Everyone,

My pool is relatively new (9months) and something happened to my aqua link last week. It froze up and then it basically turned off my swcg for 1-3 days (not sure) and when I checked the cl level I was at basically zero. I boosted the pool running the swcg for 100% at 24 hours and it got the chlorine back to 2-3ppm.

When I went out today, CL was still in that same range but I noticed this spot along with some white stuff on my bubbler tube. I swear the bubbler tube used to be clear but it is all white and chalky now. I have never seen this orange spot and I think it had some black/green edges until I scrubbed it with a brush. Any further scrubbing does not affect it at all.

Can you guys tell me what you think…is this spot rust/algae and is the white stuff indicative of anything? The water is crystal clear and I can see all the pebbles on the pool bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_2133.jpeg
    IMG_2133.jpeg
    548 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2134.jpeg
    IMG_2134.jpeg
    554.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2130.jpeg
    IMG_2130.jpeg
    589.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2132.jpeg
    IMG_2132.jpeg
    722.5 KB · Views: 20
If all of this just started happening when the SWG shut off, then it's fair to assume you may have algae starting. But the stains, if organic, should improve with scrubbing. Since they did not, try rubbing a stain with a Vitamin C tablet. Let us know if that does anything.

An FC of 2-3 ppm is much too low. Do not rely on the SWG to increase your FC where it needs to be according to the FC/CYA Levels. Add liquid chlorine right away. I would also consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if organics are already trying to overwhelm your chemistry.

Anyone else have any idea what that spot could be? I rubbed some absorbic acid via vitamin c and it didnt do anything.
You've tried a chlorine tablet, then Vitamin C. The next test you could try is placing some dry acid in a thin sock or nylon and rubbing it on the stain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.