Is this quote crazy? Or legit?

Apr 16, 2017
Scottsdale
I'm rehabbing a house in Phoenix Arizona that has a large diving pool. I just received a quote to renovate the pool for at least $25,000, he said it could go more. I just don't understand how replumbing and resurfacing this pool costs more than 15k. All I want is the pool functional again so I can advertise the house with pool. Anyone have recommendations or anyone want to have a go and provide a quote? Thank you so much!

Large/deep pools in Arizona are not-typical due to high water costs. An average size pool here (~ 15,000 gallons ) can easily cost $8k-$15k to simply replaster. If you’re receiving a chipout of the old plaster, tile work, coping, replaster and plumbing work, then $25k is not out of the question. A modern, standard sized pool with few bells or whistles can easily cost $50k to build new.

You can post the quote details and some of our experts can look it over for charges that might be excessive but I doubt there will be much savings.

Honey,

Welcome to TFP... A great place to find the answers to all of your pool upgrade questions... :shark:

Keep in mind while we have a few professional pool people here, most of our members are everyday pool owners..

Pricing is really location dependent.. How about some more info...

When you say replumb, what are you talking about? Just the equipment pad or do you want to replace all the plumbing all the way to the inside of the pool? Does this include the main drain? Is the skimmer(s) being replaced?

What type of plaster? Does the price include a complete chip our or not?

Are you doing the coping and/or the waterline tile?

I would personally think that $20 to $25K would be in the ballpark.

Let's see what our other members have to say...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Just get 3 or 4 bids. That's really the only way to find out what is typical for your location. If you're selling the house, go for the least expensive surface material and components - everything look luxurious when its new!

Honey,

Welcome to TFP... A great place to find the answers to all of your pool upgrade questions... :shark:

Keep in mind while we have a few professional pool people here, most of our members are everyday pool owners..

Pricing is really location dependent.. How about some more info...

When you say replumb, what are you talking about? Just the equipment pad or do you want to replace all the plumbing all the way to the inside of the pool? Does this include the main drain? Is the skimmer(s) being replaced?

What type of plaster? Does the price include a complete chip our or not?

Are you doing the coping and/or the waterline tile?

I would personally think that $20 to $25K would be in the ballpark.

Let's see what our other members have to say...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

So the current, operational pool plumbing are those pipes running around the pool ??

Add to the remodel - get rid of those giant palm trees!!! You don’t want those things anywhere near a pool.

Based on that photo I think $20-30k is in the range you are looking at. If you do all the sub-contracting yourself it might be closer to $20k but to remove all that decking and chipping out the plaster is more then it costs to dig a new pool and start from scratch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.