Is this pump overkill?

Sep 28, 2020
San Antonio, TX
Recently moved into a new home with a roughly 35k gallon pool, and have gotten a bit of sticker shock with my first energy bill. Looking at my hour by hour energy use, I estimate the running this pool pump for roughly 10 hours per day is DOUBLING my energy usage.

I took a look at the pump basics page here and it sounds like 2.25HP is more than I would need for a 35k gallon pool. It also sounds like I could save a lot of energy by switching to a variable speed pump.

Is it worth making the switch? Does anyone have a recommendation for a good replacement pump?

PXL_20200924_204530377.jpg

PXL_20201001_230007505.jpg

V,

Just for reference... I have a 3 HP IntelliFlo VS pump that I run 24/7, most of the time at 1200 RPM.. This costs me less than $20 bucks a month.

I suggest you think about moving into this Century.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Payout depends alot on electrical cost and if you have a Time of Use surcharge. Also, your booster pump adds quite a bit to the electrical use. As Jim says above, a VS motor is a great way to reduce cost. And, as of next year, if your pump motor needs replacing, you will be required to install a VS motor by Federal regulation.

So, take a look at the VS motors from InyoPools. Some members have installed V-Green motors on their existing pumps.

Probably about 2,000 watts. So, 2 kwH per hour, 20 kwh per day and 600 kwh per month. Assuming 10 cents per kwh, that's about $60.00 per month.

I think that you have a Hayward Tristar pump.

A Tristar VS pump should go in easy with the unions.

There might be a rebate available in your area for switching to a variable speed pump.

• Pool Pumps - $150/HP Rebate. 150 x 2.25 = $337.50.
Plus a $75.00 rebate from Hayward.

Thank you so much for the responses! I'm really happy to hear about the rebates. Makes the cost savings even more evident.

The Tristar VS pump says it's 1.5HP. Hayward TriStar VS Pump - W3SP3202VSP - INYOPools.com

Is that enough juice to replace my current 2.25HP pump? I do have a ~600 gallon spa attached to the pool with several jets I probably should have mentioned. I assume that would be a factor in selecting a pump?

I'm also looking at the Intelliflo 3HP VS pump. Pentair IntelliFlo VF Variable Speed Pump - 011012 - INYOPools.com

It should give me all the power I could need, and it has 2" port size which I believe means it should fit into my current setup comfortably, but it is more pricey.

Am I on the right track here?

If you feel like you need the power for the jets, the TriStar VS comes in a 2.7 hp model.

The main reason I suggested the Tristar is that it should be the easiest installation due to the unions that should unscrew and make it an easier replacement.

The rebates probably require purchase and installation from a local professional.

The Intelliflo is a good pump, but the installation will be more work and probably more money.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.