Is this Pool mottling?

kbt1020

Mar 22, 2023
Florida
I resurfaced my pool about 2 years ago. These stain looking spots recently appeared in my pool. I tried Jack Magic’s and other stain removal chemical with no luck. The person at Pinch a Penny told me that this is pool mottling. Is this correct?

13489B2A-70E0-42C8-A206-243DC0214116.jpeg9CD02A2C-857B-429E-9636-FF65A80BA633.jpeg

Looks a bit like staining to me? What do you use to sanitize your pool? Any other chemicals added? I doubt your calcium is overly high being in Florida....?
Got some good test results:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt if Appicable

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: kbt1020
Welcome to TFP.

Mottling usually does not develop two years after plastering.

It looks like metal staining.

Try sanding an area with 80/100 grit wet/dry sandpaper and see how it changes.

Looks a bit like staining to me? What do you use to sanitize your pool? Any other chemicals added? I doubt your calcium is overly high being in Florida....?
Got some good test results:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt if Appicable

Hi - Just went to pinch a penny to get my water tested. I try to do it at home but mild colorblindness is getting the best of me. Last week, I tried to lower my Ph and did a lot of stain remover stuff so my chemistry might be all messed up.
FC - 0 (just dumped a jug of liquid chlorine this past Saturday but seems like might not have been enough. Will be dumping another jug)
CC - 0
pH -7.2
TA - 50ppm (pinch a penny suggests 7lbs of alkalinity increased)
CH - 500ppm
CYA - was not provided.
Not a salt pool
Any suggestions is appreciated. I’ll wait to hear before bringing Chlorine level back up

I’ll wait to hear before bringing Chlorine level back up

Never wait to add chlorine when your FC is 0. You never want no chlorine in your pool.

Since you don't know your CYA add 5 ppm of liquid chlorine into the pool daily.

How many gallons are in your pool.

Download PoolMath

Hi - Just went to pinch a penny to get my water tested. I try to do it at home but mild colorblindness is getting the best of me. Last week, I tried to lower my Ph and did a lot of stain remover stuff so my chemistry might be all messed up.
FC - 0 (just dumped a jug of liquid chlorine this past Saturday but seems like might not have been enough. Will be dumping another jug)
CC - 0
pH -7.2
TA - 50ppm (pinch a penny suggests 7lbs of alkalinity increased)
CH - 500ppm
CYA - was not provided.
Any suggestions is appreciated. I’ll wait to hear before bringing Chlorine level back up
Never wait to add chlorine when your FC is 0. You never want no chlorine in your pool.

Since you don't know your CYA add 5 ppm of liquid chlorine into the pool daily.

How many gallons are in your pool.

Download PoolMath

I have a chlorine tablet floating in the pool. I’ll keep 2 in there going forward since 1 might not have been enough.

The pool is about 10000 gallon

I have a chlorine tablet floating in the pool. I’ll keep 2 in there going forward since 1 might not have been enough.

Hi - it sounds like you need a good set of reading materials. It's likely you have both algae and metal stains from previous pool chemical additions. There's a better way!

Tabs are not recommended because they contribute small amounts of chlorine while pushing your CYA higher. CYA does not break down at the rate of chlorine and you'll very quickly end up with a pool that's not properly sanitized.

The trouble free method relies on self-testing and respect for the FC/CYA relationship.

Have you used any Clorox Blue Tablets like sold at Costco?

full
full

Have you used any Clorox Blue Tablets like sold at Costco?
Exactly what I’m using.
Hi - it sounds like you need a good set of reading materials. It's likely you have both algae and metal stains from previous pool chemical additions. There's a better way!

Tabs are not recommended because they contribute small amounts of chlorine while pushing your CYA higher. CYA does not break down at the rate of chlorine and you'll very quickly end up with a pool that's not properly sanitized.

The trouble free method relies on self-testing and respect for the FC/CYA relationship.

Thank you. I’ll read through the material. I’ve been relying on the pool stores since as mentioned colorblindness and the test kits don’t go together well. I’ll have to enlist the wife’s help going forward

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
-You are depending on Pinch-a-Penny for testing.... no bueno.
-Which test kit do you have at home? The ones we recommend use *changing colors* not matching colors. And are drop based so accurate.
-Copper is not a sanitizer, it can help avoid algae but at a high price (cost, stains, green hair)....and going without Free Chlorine (FC) is an invitation for problems. Consider upping your system to a salt water system to make things easier.
Time to take charge of your pool and we can help.

FC/CYA Levels

Those contain copper. The "Blue" is a code word for copper addition.

You have copper staining.

Thank you! I’m curious to why I the metal stain removal stuff I have used didn’t work. I might have to go and get myself the Jack’s magic copper solution. I did use the stain id kit from them but it didn’t remove the stain.

Thank you! I’m curious to why I the metal stain removal stuff I have used didn’t work. I might have to go and get myself the Jack’s magic copper solution. I did use the stain id kit from them but it didn’t remove the stain.

I can't answer that not knowing exactly what you did.

After you lift the copper stains into solution with sulfamic acid you should drain your pool and get clean water into it. Otherwise the sulfamic acid will mess us your FC and CC testing for months.

-You are depending on Pinch-a-Penny for testing.... no bueno.
-Which test kit do you have at home? The ones we recommend use *changing colors* not matching colors. And are drop based so accurate.
-Copper is not a sanitizer, it can help avoid algae but at a high price (cost, stains, green hair)....and going without Free Chlorine (FC) is an invitation for problems. Consider upping your system to a salt water system to make things easier.
Time to take charge of your pool and we can help.

FC/CYA Levels

Thanks Maddie. I read the guide and will get a different kit than I have right now
I can't answer that not knowing exactly what you did.

After you lift the copper stains into solution with sulfamic acid you should drain your pool and get clean water into it. Otherwise the sulfamic acid will mess us your FC and CC testing for months.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/wik...ki/index.php?title=Acid#Sulfamic_Acid[/QUOTE]
will do. Thank you, and thanks everyone for your help!

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
colorblindness and the test kits don’t go together well.
Only for PH where you have to choose the right shade of the same color. All other tests look for a drastic color change and it doesn't matter which shade you process it as, you'll see the difference between Barbie pink and clear.

Reactions: dfwnoob
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.