Is this normal?

jmsilhy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 3, 2019
McKinney, Texas
Hi guys, after my booster pump was fixed a couple of weeks ago, my Polaris 280 has been doing a good job on cleaning the Pool. Yesterday I was emptying the bag and I noticed this, I guess it’s like granules from the material the pool is made of. My calcium hardness levels are on the high side, so is this normal for a pool like this?
F453ECA9-5E35-4C33-9A2D-063945581841.jpeg

Put some acid on it and see if it bubbles.

Have you recently added salt or stabilizer or other solid chemical?

I don’t know if it’s normal but this has been happening in my pool for at least 10 years. I am now getting involved in managing my pool but have used the same pool man for years and nothing was ever mentioned. He retired and the pool gals haven’t mentioned it either.

having said this my pool now looks like this. I’m planning a replaster or demolition in the coming year.
E462E6EB-CD20-4CBC-87B6-E84E69DE8288.jpeg

Put some acid on it and see if it bubbles.

Have you recently added salt or stabilizer or other solid chemical?
Nothing solid lately, I’ve been using liquid chlorine, and a couple of weeks ago added some dry acid for PH.

It definitely looks like it’s from the plaster, bit I don’t know if this quantity should be of concern or not.

What’s the ballpark of a replaster job these days? My pool is somewhat small, 12k gals

Thanks

For just the replastering of the pool and not the repair of decking this is what I was quoted a few weeks ago:

Prep work $2,334 - chipping below tile line, sealing with hydraulic cement around all penetrations, apply multi coat bond coat, 1 yr. warranty

White goods (?) - $400
Brush & Balancee - 800

Plaster - quartz white with blue - $7080.07 - don't forget the 7 cents! - 5 yr warranty labor and materials. Pebble will cost more

Just mentioning tile work for kicks

Removal existing, install new - $5,400

Fine print - if more than 10% of pool surface is loose, upcharge

Before our replaster that's what it looked like every time I cleaned out the canister from the cleaner, our surface was falling apart (previous owners left this pool empty for like 4 years several years ago and it ruined the surface).

In Central Valley California, I was quoted $4950 for plain white plaster with full chipout. $6400 for white DiamondBrite, $7000 for colored DiamondBrite. I went with the colored DB and had a small cabo shelf added, new return fittings, tile cleaning and new main drain cover installed, and a skimmer line leak repaired. Was about $10.5k total for all of that. We were originally going to only do the white plaster and call it a day :rolleyes:

Most places in our area include a full chipout.

I don’t know if it’s normal but this has been happening in my pool for at least 10 years. I am now getting involved in managing my pool but have used the same pool man for years and nothing was ever mentioned. He retired and the pool gals haven’t mentioned it either.

having said this my pool now looks like this. I’m planning a replaster or demolition in the coming year.
View attachment 120288

I sure hope you replaster (not demo). Your pool is so pretty!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.