Is this electrical wiring done right?

Ita common to have 220v feeding an appliance like an AC condenser with just 2 hots and a ground and is proper wiring in that case. 220v works a little different in single phase applications but is NOT permitted in a sub panel application like this one seems to be.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Ita common to have 220v feeding an appliance like an AC condenser with just 2 hots and a ground and is proper wiring in that case. 220v works a little different in single phase applications but is NOT permitted in a sub panel application like this one seems to be.

I went back and looked at the original diagram and there is no neutral. I think this means this panel can ONLY be used for 220 volt applications. Given that, he needs to run either a properly sized neutral or an entire new line with neutral and ground to this subpanel.

If the diagram is right, I agree this "power center" appears to be wired for 220. As discussed before the 110 gfci needs a neutral and a stand alone 110v hot from the panel feeding the power center.

great job to those who determined what the problem is.many knowledgeable folks here. not to hijack, but to ask a follow up question. does the sub panel also need an earth ground? or would that be redundant?

It is required to be grounded back to the original service panel (your main panel). But in the sub-panel, neutral and ground must be physically separated.

great job to those who determined what the problem is.many knowledgeable folks here. not to hijack, but to ask a follow up question. does the sub panel also need an earth ground? or would that be redundant?

You only want one common ground point in a house that everything connects to.

Multiple grounds from different panels gives you stray currents that cause various problems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.