Is this 'dirt' algae?

The reagents that you've had for 3 years and stored in your garage have probably gone bad. They don't last forever and storing them in an unheated and unairconditioned space will make them go bad faster. Please store your testing supplies inside and they will last longer.

The HTH kit doesn't seem that reliable as you posted results are inconsistent with you fresh, new and reliable FAS-DPD results.

The only thing you needed from the kit you ordered was the PH and TA. The kit you ordered doesn't have CH which may not be too bad because it isn't as important for vinyl pools like yours. You won't need the FC OTO test from the kit you ordered and you can rely on the FAS-DPD test.

So, that leaves CYA. I don't know how long those reagents last. It might be bad, too. Even if your CYA reagent is good, you may be getting inaccurate results because of the residue. The CYA test needs accurate lighting and the You can order the whole Without an accurate read of CYA you have no idea on how to chlorine your pool. CYA testing kit with a clean vial here: TFTestkits.net

Here is a comparison of the recommended test kits: Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Essentially, you could have had a great kit with everything you need for two seasons for the price of the HTH kit + the price of the kit you ordered from Amazon + a handful of more dollars.

The great thing about getting the TF-100 is that when it is time to start with fresh reagents, you can order a refill kit that costs much less.

The new Taylor kit is in and here is what I've done and what my readings are now.

Initial Reading:
TC Above 5 (new oto taylor regent)
FC Above 5
CC 0
PH 8.2 (acid needed taylor drops said to add 9.8oz of acid)
TA 100 (new taylor regent)

I did not test CYA because I did not get a new regent for that. I'll order that today.

After that reading, I added the suggested amount of muriatic acid, waited an hour after kids swirled it around in the pool, then tested again. Here are the next results:

FAS-DPD FC 5
FAS-DPD CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 80 (maybe I counted an extra drop last reading - I'll test again later)

Based on the 7.6 pH, I added about 4oz more of Muriatic acid. I will wait now until sundown to test again and do another OCLT test.

Thank again everyone!

Thanks kcindec. I didn't see your reply before I posted for some reason.

I suppose you're right, but I did need the new test cylinder and block, I noticed that the new cylinder is MUCH clearer than my old one and my old Taylor block is missing its top and I used to hold my fingers over it to invert it. I needed the new 003 regent for the CC reading of the FAS DPD because mine had gone bad. I'll order the new CYA kit today. Thanks for the link and thanks for the comparison. When I'm able I'll order the TF-100.

Thanks again

Last night after sunset 11pm
FC 2.5
CC 0

This morning before sunrise 5am
FC 2
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 90

FYI I still get that black stuff at the bottom of my pool that looks like dirt, but it always vacuums right up with no trouble. Maybe it's debree from the pine trees overhanging my yard?

I'm new after lurking for a long time. From your description of being able to vacuum the stuff up with no trouble, it sounds like sediment (dirt) to me.

Are you using your SWG? I think the last time you tested your CYA it was 40 (you posted 35 i think, but the test is always rounded up to the nearest 10). Your FC level is really low regardless of method that you are adding chlorine. When does your CYA reagent come in?

Use this chart, and your FC should never get below the minimum. You may need to SLAM since you dipped below the minimum FC. You should get your FC up ASAP.
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Are you using your SWG? I think the last time you tested your CYA it was 40 (you posted 35 i think, but the test is always rounded up to the nearest 10). Your FC level is really low regardless of method that you are adding chlorine. When does your CYA reagent come in?

Use this chart, and your FC should never get below the minimum. You may need to SLAM since you dipped below the minimum FC. You should get your FC up ASAP.
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

I had shut off my SWG for a day because the FC had been consistently at or above 5 for a while. I allowed it to come down to about 3 after getting the pH down to 7.5 and TA to 90 (although it needs to be a bit lower). You're right my CYA was 35 or 40 depending on lighting, so as you said before, we round up to 40. My kit should be coming soon, I ordered it a few days ago but the holiday slowed it down. I have since added all of the stabilizer I had left - which was about 1 or 1 1/2 cups. Since I've also been back-washing, I'll need to get some more soon after the new kit comes in because I need to add water. Of course, that will affect the CYA levels right?

The pH with the new Taylor kit is holding at 7.5 and I did turn my SWG back on. I have not yet had an OCLT test that looses more than .5 so I'm not sure what's going on. It's just really odd because the black stuff keeps coming - every single day, vacuuming or not, I really have to vacuum daily; however, every time I vacuum it all comes right up with no fuss and it never spreads to the walls. It ALWAYS sits in the folds of the vinyl bottom that I was never able to get straight before filling, along the ring of the outer bottom, then one splotch bunched up in the dead center of the pool. This happens with or without swimmers going in the water and like i said, is a DAILY occurrence. The bottom of the pool never feels slimy and my water is crystal clear still. The only thing I could think of that could be depositing dirt into my pool is my neighbors HUGE trees. He's got several pines (or evergreens - not such the difference) and some other large tree - again not sure which kind but not any kind of pine. I have no idea what else could be the culprit except algae. My SWG gets into the yellow pressure zone at least every 3 days and that's why I backwash so much.

I do have some food grade DE - can I add that to my sand filter to help?

FC 5
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 70
CYA 50

Since yesterday my sand filter has been running much louder. When I went to check on the pool and noticed it, I saw that the pressure was in the mid yellow zone. I backwashed but it didn't help. I shut it off for the night but that didn't help. We had a small storm a couple days ago that shut off the power briefly abruptly forming of the filter amd we didn't realize it until later that night when the filter was not running. Maybe this plays a part - I'm not sure. Any advice would be appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your signature disappeared. It had the details of your pool which are helpful when users try to help.

The filter can only run when the pump moves water through the filter, so the filter doesn't technically run, the pump is what runs. Is there anything in the pump basket? Are there any air bubbles coming out of the returns? How is the pressure coming out of the returns?

Are you using your SWG now?

Your signature disappeared. It had the details of your pool which are helpful when users try to help.

The filter can only run when the pump moves water through the filter, so the filter doesn't technically run, the pump is what runs. Is there anything in the pump basket? Are there any air bubbles coming out of the returns? How is the pressure coming out of the returns?

Are you using your SWG now?

I'm not sure what happened to my signature. I was posting from my mobile - maybe that's why. It should show now.

There is nothing in the pump basket, there was water leaking from the backwash hose; however, I took apart the multi-port top, took off the basket, cleaned the rotating wheel behind the basket, re-greased it, and put it all back together. This fixed the leaking, but not the loud, unusual sounding pump. The water flow is strong and pressure is staying just below the yellow warning mark (maybe 10 psi? - not sure). I still get that 'dirt' on the bottom daily, even vacuuming daily; however, when the pump runs for a few hours, most of it swirls to the middle of the pool in a circular pile like a bushel in the desert (the best I can explain it).

This is all very frustrating because it seems that all of my water levels are normal and consistently normal.

Well, it could be something in the impeller of the pump. I have tulip poplars (aka yellow poplars) and they dump flowers once a year. Part of the flowers are long and skinny pistols that get stuck in my impeller. Sometimes pine needles gets stuck in impellers because they are able to pass through the skimmer and pump baskets.

Have you tried taking the "dirt" and smudging it on a paper towel? It could be pollen. Do you have a skimmer? If so, increase the pump run time and add a nylon stocking or hair net to your skimmer. It definitely sounds like pollen or some other air contaminant.

Per JVTrain's earlier post: "Continuous pollen can certainly sink to the bottom if you're not getting skimming action when the pollen falls. It may also produce a bit of a chlorine demand if it's excessive and not removed from the pool through skimmers or manual skimming. You could use a hair net or large nylon stocking in over your skimmer basket to try to catch the pollen."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.