Is this dead mustard algae on the bottom of my pool?

3kiddos

Aug 24, 2019
Franklinton, LA
I am a first time pool owner and over the summer my pool turned a dark green color. I have been following the SLAM protocol, and I keep seeing these brown spots on the bottom of my pool. I brush and vacuum daily and they keep reappearing. I'm wondering if this means the SLAM method is killing the algae and this is the effect of the algae being killed. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_5280.jpeg
    IMG_5280.jpeg
    448.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5279.jpeg
    IMG_5279.jpeg
    481.3 KB · Views: 46
I keep getting this slimy, gel-like stuff in my pool along with what looks like to be little pods of something. I have actually squeezed the brown pod-like things and a little seed comes out. I have several plants and trees around my pool. Could this be something coming off of the plants and/or trees or is this a type of algae?

Attachments

• IMG_5562.jpeg
    IMG_5562.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5563.jpeg
    IMG_5563.jpeg
    412 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5564.jpeg
    IMG_5564.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 23
I'm actually still in the SLAM process. I have had the worst time with running our of testing reagents. I at first didn't have the FAS/DPD test kit and when I received it, I ran out of the reagent 0871 within two days. I received the 0871, but I've been waiting on more cyanuric acid for a week and a half. I ordered from pool supply world and it was on back order. The last time I was able to check my CYA it was at level 30. The CYA reagent should be in tomorrow, and I will test it again.

Do you know what the brown stuff on the bottom of the pool is? It's the first two pictures I posted. it's not grainy when I touch it and it goes into a cloud when I sweep it. I was able to manually vacuum it all to waste today. I am curious if it'll come back tomorrow. Is that a sign of dead mustard algae?

Anything that goes 'poof' when you disturb it is most likely dead algae.

Maintaining the FC at SLAM level will eliminate it. Proper testing is necessary.

Use TFTestkits.net for refills. They have fresh reagents and will deliver quickly.

Reactions: jmb
Anything that goes 'poof' when you disturb it is most likely dead algae.

Maintaining the FC at SLAM level will eliminate it. Proper testing is necessary.

Use TFTestkits.net for refills. They have fresh reagents and will deliver quickly.

Thank you for your help! I certainly will order my refills from TFTestkits.net in the future. It's my first time owning a pool, so I've learned a lot of things the hard way. This site has been an invaluable source of information that has certainly gotten me on the right track. Thank you for your prompt responses!

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.