Is this an emergency or can renovation be postponed another season or two?

Bam Bam

Gold Supporter
Sep 14, 2019
Columbia, SC
This weekend I was convinced to forge ahead with the renovation. On a long drive this morning I’m doubting the sense/cents of doing this instead of a demolition or just letting the pool die then demolish it.

The pool looks awful but it’s not leaking. Is replastering an aesthetic and/or functional integrity issue? How about coping that has uplifted from the side of the pool?

At what point does it become absolutely necessary to replaster, replace coping and why? Is there anything wrong or dangerous with exposed gunnite? Roads are made of concrete and are driveable in the rain!

I’m cheap but can afford to renovate. Just feeling some money pit woes as ownership of 15 years and recently replaced 2 huge HVACs, shed, and who know’s what critical thing will need repair or replacement next. The pool is important but not critical.

D7F91A16-BB42-4053-90F8-2FB3D7112673.jpegDEF3E9E0-1C27-403A-AF68-FA139389F371.jpegA2A05D46-B084-4580-BCC9-FB7BE7A7B041.jpeg9BDBEA04-0595-4E15-AA2C-A04CAE8D686B.jpeg

Reactions: BillV
As long as the pool is holding water and you can maintain balanced chemicals go swim in it.

What you describe is all cosmetic.

Reactions: allinspector
My admittedly non-expert understanding is that plaster is waterproof and gunite is not. So if you have missing plaster & exposed gunite, water may soak into the gunite slowly enough that you don’t notice. That water will eventually find rebar and cause rust.

I’d be embarrassed to have guests in that pool. My pool looked half as bad as yours when I re-plastered. Once the old plaster was removed, there were a couple small spots of rebar rust visible.

Reactions: Chickinvic
If the plaster has worn through to the gunite, then you need to replaster. Gunite isn't waterproof - water will get into it, through it, and could cause damage to the substrate and/or pool shell. It's a beautiful pool, I would definitely get it replastered and the coping repaired.

This weekend I was convinced to forge ahead with the renovation. On a long drive this morning I’m doubting the sense/cents of doing this instead of a demolition or just letting the pool die then demolish it.

The pool looks awful but it’s not leaking. Is replastering an aesthetic and/or functional integrity issue? How about coping that has uplifted from the side of the pool?

At what point does it become absolutely necessary to replaster, replace coping and why? Is there anything wrong or dangerous with exposed gunnite? Roads are made of concrete and are driveable in the rain!

I’m cheap but can afford to renovate. Just feeling some money pit woes as ownership of 15 years and recently replaced 2 huge HVACs, shed, and who know’s what critical thing will need repair or replacement next. The pool is important but not critical.

View attachment 118714View attachment 118715View attachment 118716View attachment 118717
Has pool been re-plastered before? I ask because I am in process of having my 34 yr old pool re-plastered. Unfortunately, I found out when it was re-plastered previously about 19 years ago, the company apparently did not use a suitable bonding agent for the plaster if at all. The result is we have about 450-500 sq ft of "hollow" spots in the plaster. They all need to be removed before plastering. Added a bit more to an already expensive project. If you have hollow spots, the only remedy is to remove them.

I'm not sure if it was replastered but the previous owner did a lot of wacko fixing. He or someone painted the pool. From the first day it was used blue goopy stuff would stain anything and anyone that touched the surface. The Polaris collects blue chips which could be the paint covered plaster. It looks like he applied some black stuff to some exposed surfaces as well. He also went caulk crazy. Even in the house.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm waiting for the 3rd contractor to discuss options with. I will mention hollow spots. Then go back to contractors 1 and 2 and find out their up charges.

If you don't mind answering I'm curious to know how much your pool reno is costing. Are you replastering or pebbling?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.