Caffrin

Jul 30, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all! New to posting, although I’ve tried to follow along with posts this year.
I have a 7,000 gallon above ground pool with a sand filter that is going to be the death of me, I’m sure. Around the 4th of July, I let the chlorine drop to almost nothing for 2 days in 100° heat. Needless to say, I woke up to a green pool very soon after. Ever since, I’ve been battling algae, I think. I just ordered the recommended test kit today but it won’t be here for a week. Anyways, I’m attaching a photo of my current situation. The water is clear but you can see a slight amount of green on the bottom and sides of the pool. I’ve vacuumed some of the pool, although not well since I don’t have a vacuum that can vacuum to waste. I have been backwashing the filter 2-4 times a day and the water ALWAYS comes out bright green, so although the water is clear, I know there is algae in the pool.
You can see I’m not dealing with a HUGE algae problem but enough that we can’t swim. Should I drain and refill since I won’t have a test kit for another week?
Thanks in advance for the help! I’m ready to get rid of this pool!!

Attachments

• 39D6FD2B-DC2C-4027-BD95-E3874E805BEB.jpeg
    39D6FD2B-DC2C-4027-BD95-E3874E805BEB.jpeg
    540.5 KB · Views: 28
Welcome! :wave: No need to drain. Just add about 1/4 - 1/2 gallon of liquid chlorine or regular bleach to the water each day until the kit arrives. Once it does, post a full set of results and we'll help you from there.

Welcome to TFP!

No need to drain. Without knowing CYA level, we can’t help much, but it’s always safe to add enough liquid chlorine in the evening to get the pool to 15ppm. A gallon of 10% or 12% after sunset in your pool will help you hold it off until the kit arrives.

I posted last week about the algae I’ve been battling in our above ground pool. I was waiting for my TF-100 kit to come and in the meantime, per your recommendations, I’ve been adding a gallon of bleach daily.
My pool is more clear today, but I still see small piles of green algae on the bottom of the pool, otherwise the water is blue. Here are my levels as of 20 minutes ago (9:45 PM)
FC- 16
CYA- 48
ALK- 100
PH- 7.3/7.4 (not confident on which it’s at, it’s above 7.2 but not quite 7.5)

What steps should I take now??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.