Is this Algae?

JimmyMan123

Aug 20, 2019
Houston, TX
My pool needs to be resurfaced for sure, but I wish I could ge this black stuff off the bottom

It was there from when my pool was 100% green and filled. Since then I got a new filter and pump and in a very short time I got the water 100% clear. The problem is that there is this big-ol black spot on the bottom

I have a Algae brush which I try to go over it, but it almost seems like I am not making a dent in it at all whenever I try it. Any ideas or tips?

Attachments

• 2020-03-26 11.06.19.JPG
    2020-03-26 11.06.19.JPG
    590 KB · Views: 78
They look like copper stains, or another metal.

To check on if they are organic, take a puck and set on an area for a few minutes (no longer). See what happens.

The turquoise looks like copper. The black might be copper or maybe black algae.

If it's black algae, you should be able to scrape some off.

Black algae is similar to black mold. It's soft, but it grows roots into the plaster.

If you can scrape some off, it should be blue-green and mushy.

If you can't scrape anything off, it's probably copper.

You can use sulfamic acid (Jack's #2 copper and scale stuff) to treat it.

It might not come off.

Even if it does come off, the copper is in the water and you would need to drain and refill to get rid of the copper.

Don't drain without consulting a local professional expert because the pool can float if the water table is high.

You can try to manage the copper without draining, but it's a significant challenge to keep it from restaining.

Also, sulfamic acid converts the fc to cc for months.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.