Is This Algae?

Aug 11, 2017
Chelmsford MA
Hi Folks, long time reader of these forums, love and appreciate all of the great advice on here so thanks!

I've had my pool for about 3 years now and this year we seem to be getting a reoccurring issue that I don't remember happening previously, or at least I didn't notice it before. I'm unsure if this is algae or pollen or whatever else, and I keep going back and forth trying to decide what it is. It collects evenly throughout the pool and doesn't seem to gather in any particular shady or sunny area. We have a sand filter and at the start of this year, I replaced the sand with Zeo sand, so not sure if that is related or not. The sediment is very fine and disappears in a cloud when you stir it up. It looks brownish in color. When we vacuum to waste, it seems to go away for a couple days and then we start seeing little clumps start forming here and there until eventually it will be all over the bottom of the pool. It does not feel slimy and doesn't seem to leave any kind of film or discoloration where it collect. The local pool store said that it sounded like pollen and said that other customers were having similar issues, but I didn't show them any photos. The pool is close to a small wooded area, but the pollen hasn't been that high since early spring. We only have one return to the pool and one skimmer, and the pump is a bit undersized for the pool. We run it 24/7 as it's a 20x40 pool but the pump can only turn it over once a day running all day. This summer has been strange for the chlorine levels... we shock once a week and keep the chlorine tabs in and maintain stabilizer levels, but there have been days where the chlorine has dropped to almost 0 only a few short days after shocking and putting in new tabs. Does this look like algae or something simple like pollen? Let me know if I can provide any more information that might help, and thanks in advance!

View attachment 67650View attachment 67651

Welcome to the forum!
Can you post a complete set of test results using your own testing Kit?
FC
CC
pH
CH
TA
CYA

It appears it is dead algae. You should do a OCLT tonight to check. Raise your FC to 15% of CYA and read this - Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Take care.

I have guess strips, no true test strips, but I can take a sample of the water over to the pool store today and get it fully tested. Unfortunately that means I won't have a super accurate reading on FC for the OCLT, but I suppose I could take two samples of the water and have it tested at the store tomorrow to get an accurate measurement.

To manage your pool you need your own test kit. Using test strips (lovingly called Guess strips here) or pool store tests that are inaccurate, unreliable, and non repeatable, are not viable.

So - right now - order your own test kit. I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net, Best Value, or, the Taylor K2006C (that C matters) is also acceptable.

Once you get your test kit, post up your results and we can provide guidance on a plan forward.

Take care.

No. Your testing is far better. It is your pool, you care. You will rinse the vials. Do they rinse and calibrate their machine after every test? No.

Get your own kit. Get comfortable testing - lots of directions and YouTube on how to's here on this site.

Take care.

Plain and simple, reliable test results will let us help you. Pool store test results are not reliable.

As you have seen, we have quick replies, but we need you to have a good test kit when it comes to us answering water chemistry issues.

Welcome to the forum.

If you have a read through the forum you will find many threads where Pool store testing has shown to be unreliable. Whether it's because of poor testing technique, rushing the tests, lack of proper calibration, not throughly cleaning test vials between the tests etc, the real world experiences witnessed here show the testing as unreliable.

Nobody will care more about your pool than you. Being a hands-on person, I love the fact that I am doing the test myself, and that I can totally trust my results. My water has never been clearer than since I started testing myself. When I was relying on a pool $tore I was constantly chasing my tail, adding acid to lower pH, followed by adding 'alkalinity up' to raise TA (that I just lowered with acid), which drove my pH back up requiring more acid..... what a rollercoaster. My last straw was when I went there with a sample from my pea soup green pool, and I was told all my levels are good, and their best advise was to drain and start over because they didn't know what to do as everything was good according to their computer.

That looks like algae to me. Algae poofs and comes back like that. You really need your own test kit to be able to perform an OCLT. I would be lost without my kit. I can test at any given time and not have to worry if the pool store is open. And I can order them at any given time online if I run out. They come right to my home. The kit is reliable and dependable. It gives accurate results every time.

We really like to help members take control of their pools. It is impossible to guide pool owners when they don't have all the tools needed in clearing an ill pool. We will always be here for assistance.

Welcome to TFP.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, good to know although somewhat disappointing. I guess I will wait until I get the test kit and then try the OCLT and see what happens. It sounds like it is indeed algae, be it dead or alive, so I will likely need to do a SLAM using the new test kit.

My Two Cents:
Sounds like algae, looks like algae and isn't really the season for lots of pollen floating around.

Take three samples of water to three different pool stores. See how the results vary. Whose are you going to act on?

Wondering why you switched sand out for Zeo? Sand never needs changing out.

Looking at those stairs makes me think that its a lovely spot for algae to hide behind....poor circulation, pucks used which raise CYA so most likely your FC hasnt been at an appropriate level for ages....

Wondering why you don't get a better sized pump since you admit its undersized...?

Ok... those were *my* initial thoughts on reading this.

Maddie :flower:

I switched out to Zeosand because I don't think the sand has ever been changed. I know for a fact the previous owner never changed it, so it was about 15 years old, and as I understood it, the sand needs to be changed every 5-7 years. I figured if I was changing it, might as well try the Zeo sand stuff. And I hadn't gotten a new pump because pumps are expensive and money doesn't grow on trees :)

Anyway, start of a new year, and I am currently in the process of changing out all of the plumbing from 1.5" flex to 2" rigid PVC. I am also getting a new Pentair VS pump, so my circulation issues should be taken care of. I will also start this year off with a true test kit.

I agree about the steps and was concerned about that as well. I was thinking of maybe drilling some holes in the sides to help get some circulation through there? Not sure if that's a good idea or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.