Is this a problem with plaster?

KFrancisTX

May 10, 2020
Richmond TX
Hi, our pool is only 1 year old, and I noticed this black spot in the deep end when it was first built, but seems like maybe it's a bit larger now. Dove down for a closer look, and it feels smooth and indented, like a spot about the size of a quarter with plaster missing? Is this something that needs investigation and dragging the builder in for warranty work? There was tons of plaster coming up in the cleaner for the first 6 months or so.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200514-105824.png
    Screenshot_20200514-105824.png
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20200513_201640.jpg
    IMG_20200513_201640.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 26
I would put your builder on notice of the spot and keep an eye on it. Measure the size and document it to the builder so you can measure it again when you think it has grown.

can you tell if it looks like the end of a piece of rebar?
No rebar, it seems to be bare gunite. I counted 4 more smaller spots nearby. Bit annoying since it looks like pieces of dirt from the surface, but is it likely to leak or peel off bigger chunks? Pool builders plaster guys will come take a look and see if they can fix without draining, I don't know what that entails.

Ask them what caused this [and why?) and what are they going to do to prevent it from happening again? Then post back w that info...
The Wet Edge installer came by, dove down and plastered the missing spots. He said there must have been something on the gunite that stopped the plaster from adhering to those spots. 7 year warranty on the plaster so will get them back if I find any more.

Do you know if he prep'ed the substrate b4 plastering again? If not, what's the difference from it being plastered the same way. Odds are they failed to apply enough the first time.

If this happens again anytime soon (1-6 mo's) or anywhere else in the pool, might have to do a replaster job. Hopefully not

Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.