Is this a floor return or a drain cover?

oakridge

Silver Supporter
Jan 16, 2017
Outside Philadelphia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC4 (RC-52)
My PB was supposed to install three floor returns. I already have a separate main channel drain. I was very pleased about it all until I came home after the plaster job and saw what appeared to be three drain covers protruding from the bottom of the pool (one in the shallow end, one at the break and one in the deep end; again all separate from my main drain). Am I wrong in thinking that floor returns should be flat and level (even slightly depressed) with the pool floor? This is what the covers look like:

cover.jpg

This is what I expected:

return.jpg

If what I expected is what is supposed to be there, are there things I can do to retrofit what they have done? The issue I suspect now is that the mounting ring for the current covers is fixed in the plaster and so I have to have a cover that matches. The floor returns I have seen are not as big as these covers and so would not match the mounting bracket and holes they put in the pool. Maybe some online can create a custom lid for me that is flat and resembles the floor return. I really don't want to stub my toes and step over these monstrosities.

I fixed the images. These are sample pics. I am not sure if the pool actually has the above Hayward covers, but they look close to what I have. If I have the wrong thing, I am not looking to chip or replaster. So what options would I have to getting something flatter in its place? These stick up quite a bit and are pretty ugly.

Safety drains were installed. It is a safety issue that drains stick up like that. These are screwed on btw they can be removed/replaced.

So what options do I have to replace these that won't be a safety issue and not hang up my robot? I don't think I need a VGB compliant cover as these are returns. Maybe I need to get something custom made via an online 3D printer unless I can find something off the shelf.

Ask ur pb if they are threaded fittings or slip on fittings. There are a number of fittings that can thread in there the issue is any threaded or slip fitting is an add on and will be higher than flush. Find out and post back I'll do some looking for u

Thanks, my drain is a channel drain so these fittings are definitely not what I expected for a floor return and just wrong. Maybe I can get a 3D printing of something flatter as everything else out there appears to be raised.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I've been searching extensively to find a low profile cover that will fit my existing pool floor returns that were botched by the PB. I found these online, but after ordering it I found that the retrofit adapter plate with the combined riser ring adds more height than the existing drain cover. Knowing this is supposed to be a floor return, I'd like to not use the riser ring/adapter plate combo for a low, non-toe-stubbing experience on my 3 returns (one of which is in the shallow end, one in the break and one in the deep end). Are there any universal adapter plates out there for individual purchase which would allow me to attach my pebble top cover to the Hayward ring embedded in the plaster (preferably clear or light gray)? Something similar to the black ring in the picture below?

RetroFit-10-with-adaptor.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.