Is There A Way To Test Your DPD Powder?

Dec 11, 2017
Pa
Hey guys, so I just opened my pool on Thursday. When we opened it it was dark green swamp because no one could come close it until the beginning of November last year and we didn't leave the pump running after Sept, AND we ran out of chemicals. Anyway, I knew I was gonna have a mess this year opening it and so I hit it hard that first day with 6 bags of shock (cause the CYA was nadda so I knew it would be ok to use that for now), plus 4 gallons of bleach. Well the pool is blue but I cannot see the bottom. Now mind you, I still have some leaves to get off the bottom but I only manually vaccumed a little because I can't see and didn't want to risk pushing around something sharp or whatever. But I can sorta see dark spots so I know there is more leaves or something down there.

Just went out this morning to take and test samples of the water and when it came to the chlorine test the water did not turn pink. I even tried adding more powder as it says to add more if the color doesn't turn pink. I just got the powder last Summer and it has a exp date of 1/21 so I figured it was still good. I just find it hard to believe that after adding all of that shock and liquid chlorine there is ZERO chlorine in the pool. Also my CYA was still UNDER 30. Crazy. Anyway, is there a way to test the powder to see if it's still good? Or is it safe to assume that yes, all that shock and chlorine are gone? PH and everything else was fine.

I even took my catridges out and power washed them and they were nice and clean when I put them back (was filthy at first as the pool guys never added a sock to the basket like I normally do). Been using a skimmer basket sock so that it catches all the Crud and it doesn't go into the filter. I do this every year. Never had issues. I have checked the filter basket/sock several times a day since opening and, aside from the first day, it hasn't been too dirty but I still clean it. So, who knows. Thanks!

What does the R0870 powder look like? If white to grey/white, it is good. If purple or very dark, it may be moisture contaminated.

Did the pool have a CYA level in it when you closed it?

Also, try the OTO test for TC. If it turns yellow, then you have chlorine in the water.

Can I do that with the kit that I currently have (Taylor - K 2006)? I just looked up that OTO test on here and see it says to fill chlorine test cell? But to where?
Just looked and no, you cannot. The K2006 does not come with the R0600 reagent for OTO.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Make some pool water with a dash of laundry bleach in a measuring cup. Then test that.
Yes, this is what I would do. A splash of bleach or liquid chlorine in a cup. The concentration should probably be super high and I’d expect a strong color change with the powder.

Follow what Mark suggested. A drop or two of bleach in a gallon of water. Use that for a water sample.

Make some pool water with a dash of laundry bleach in a measuring cup. Then test that.

Yes, you should be able to do the OTO test with that kit. It uses the R-0600 reagent and the comparator

[edit, just read Marty's post.. I thought it did!}

Ok, so I put some laundry bleach and pool water and mixed and added the DPD and it turned yellow. Sooooooooo, sounds like I have no chlorine then huh, cause it appears that the powder is good?

Reactions: mguzzy
A tenth of an ounce of 6% bleach in a gallon of water is nearly 50 ppm FC. So if you added more than that, it probably bleached out the sample and the powder is fine.

Hey guys, another question...........could you go to my other thread and see if you have any clue about this? Thanks so much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.