Is there a way to prevent my Spa from being filled?

mikegmi2

Jun 7, 2019
Michigan
New pool owner here. Have an old plaster pool, 38,000 gallons, with spa attached. The house was built in 1964, and although the pool is in decent shape, the spa was never maintained. It has leaks and the tile and inlets are all in rough shape. When I ran the pool with the spa for the first time, my pool level went down a good inch and a half overnight. No idea how many gallons I lost.

The spa has its own pump, filter, and heater. Somewhere though, one of the pool return lines is tied in with one of the spa inlets. I know exactly which inlet it is, and currently have it plugged with one of those black rubber expansion plugs.

Getting to my main point, I don't have the money to redo this spa, and get it all fixed and in working order...and to be honest there is very little appeal having a spa attached to a pool that I have to run as part of the whole system. I would much rather spend $5k on a brand new standalone hot tub that I can run in the winter and use all year, as opposed to bringing this old concrete spa back to life that I can only use in the summer.

What I'd like to know is, is there anything I can look around for as far as a valve or another way to cut off the water from going to the spa? There are no jandy valves anywhere, and as I mentioned, the spa has its own plumbing, separate from the pool. Separate filter/pump/heater. There is no visible plumbing that indicates the spa is tied into the pool anywhere, but I know it is, because the spa fills when the pool filter is running.

Is it possible that the person that plumbed this pool just put a Y on one of the pool returns, underground, and tied that in with the spa? Essentially making you HAVE to use the spa when you are using the pool?

I have already had the rubber plug pop out once, causing the spa to fill, and resulting in a loss of a bunch of water.

My next step will be to get a 2" PVC plug or cap of some sort, and screw it into the spa inlet with some glue or doping and seal the water off that way...but being an engineer, I love to learn and wanted to see if there is something I can look around for, a hidden valve, anything, that would shut off the flow of water from the pool into the spa???

Mike,

Often there is what is called a make up valve... this takes a little water that is supposed to be returned to the pool and sends it to the spa.. this is normally done with raised spas.

If your spa is at the same level as the pool, then more than likely, there is just a pipe between the pool and the spa that keeps the two bodies of water at the same level.

If the spa has a heater, then there has to be a way to isolate the spa from the pool.

A few pictures of the two equipment pads would be worth thousands of words... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the reply. The spa is elevated above the pool level, and has a little slide for the water to overflow from the spa back into the pool.

I will take a couple photos of the equipment and post them later!

Here are the photos. Sorry my spa is so dirty but I haven't had time to clean out the debris yet...does anyone see anything that would cut off or prevent pool water from making it into my spa?

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 20
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 20
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 20
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 20
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 21
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 23
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 25
  • image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 25
  • image9.jpeg
    image9.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 23
  • image10.jpeg
    image10.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 21
Mike,

I do not see any form of a make up valve in your equipment room.. It appears that the Pool and Spa are not connected, at least with all the valves that you have shut off..

With a spillover spa, at least some of the water from the pool must be returned to the spa for it to flow over... :scratch:

I agree with you... It appears that at least some of the pool return water is being sent to the spa after it leaves your equipment room.. Which is very unusual..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Image 8, the inlet with the plug in it, this is the one where the pool water gets pumped in.

Ok, then yea whatever plumbing is tied into the pool, it must be done underground making it impossible to prevent water from being pumped from the pool to the spa...unless you plug the hole like I currently am doing. Seems like the previous owner either wanted to pay the minimum, or the plumber just did it the cheapest/fastest way.

Every other pool/spa combo I have seen always had a valve to switch from pool to spa mode, or something similar. Mine seems to be "hard wired" in. When I run the pool, the spa wants to automatically fill as well. Kind of a bummer. Maybe that will motivate me to save some money and get it repaired one of these days.

Some pool builders will send water from the pool return to one jet of a connected spa to always allow some circulation in the spa. If the plug you inserted is not leaking this may be the best you can do to prevent pool water to enter the spa.

Some pool builders will send water from the pool return to one jet of a connected spa to always allow some circulation in the spa. If the plug you inserted is not leaking this may be the best you can do to prevent pool water to enter the spa.

Thanks Hootz. So far so good, might look into a better, more secure solution since I don't want to go away for a weekend and come back to an empty pool due to water loss through spa leaking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.