Is the pool guy really this off?

Arcturusdrive

Mar 15, 2019
NC
Hi folks,

First weekend the pool’s been open and we have brand new plaster — 3 weeks post fill. SWG isn’t on yet and pool guys opened using pucks. Here are my numbers from the TF-100
FC: 1.5
CC: 0.5
pH: 7.2
TA: 20
CH: 375
CYA: 28

Pool guy’s number are in the image. I understand that the TF-100 is trusted over potentially non-calibrated pool guy equipment. However, this appears *really* off and I’m questioning how to proceed?

Thanks!

Attachments

• B26C22F0-2981-4AD7-833F-CC55E35A798A.jpeg
    B26C22F0-2981-4AD7-833F-CC55E35A798A.jpeg
    618.9 KB · Views: 119
Are you managing this water chemistry or your pool builder? The water is very aggressive and is very likely not doing your new plaster any favors. Double check your testing and then you need to raise your TA to 70 ASAP. Then let the pH get back to the upper 7's with aeration.

Thanks. Checked the testing procedures (I’ve done these about 10 times and will probably need a new TF-100 soon)!

My strategy was to allow them to start the pool, given warranty considerations, and then I was going to take over. However, now I’m pretty concerned. I was intending to raise the TA myself, but was concerned when I saw the pool guy’s numbers.

I’ll try to raise it now.

Just because he has a fancy machine doesn't make his testing numbers any more accurate. Trust your TF-100 and add chemicals accordingly. As quickly as you can take over your own pool care. You could turn on the SWG really any time (follow your builders instructions) but the sooner the better you need more chlorine in that water or you are going to get algae very quickly!

CYA of 93 in new water? No way!

Copper 5.6 & Iron 1.6??

Phos 5413???

Most of those numbers on the machine don't pass a reasonability test for fresh water.

Where did your fill water come from? Test the pH, TA, CH of the fill water use din the pool.

Thanks for the support.

Given the need to increase the TA so much, I took the “big change“ approach and used washing soda. Remind me never to do that again, because I was left with a impressively large cloud.

The cloud has now subsided, but i now have a layer of soda dust at the bottom of the pool. How do I proceed here? Is brushing the best option or will this dissipate on its own?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Brush. The very high pH sitting on bottom could create calcium carbonate on your pool surface.

Always trust your numbers as you can verify where they came from. The same can't be said for equipment housed in a back room at a pool store. The more hands-on you are with your pool and testing the more likely it is you will never have significant issues. I'll always put my money on an invested pool owner maintaining their pool better than anyone else. The fact that you are here means you are in great hands with so many good people. This site is the greatest gift for a pool owner.

Given those metals numbers I'd strongly suggest that you grab a few samples and run to a few pool stores and have them test for metals. See if they come up with anything. If they do, you'll need to get some sequestrant in there quickly.

Given those metals numbers I'd strongly suggest that you grab a few samples and run to a few pool stores and have them test for metals. See if they come up with anything. If they do, you'll need to get some sequestrant in there quickly.

That's very helpful -- will do that tonight.

BTW, today's numbers:

FC: 4
CC: 0.5
pH: 8.2
TA: 70
CH: 375
CYA: 30

Will get those metals checked just to be sure...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.