Is TFP also trouble free swimmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merhaba, I had the pleasure of visiting the central and soutwestern parts of Türkiye some years ago what part are you in? Lots of water and bathing! Mostly in rivers, the sea, and spring fed pools. Enjoyed a beautiful round, tiled pool in Dalyan. I dream of that one. No idea how it was maintained, but the evening discussions over cigarettes and Raki were interesting.

TFP isn't a cult, but it IS a forum with a perspective. Arguing "protocols" is not what it is about. Asking about studies is fine and to the extent that any exist someone here will find and post them. Fear mongering about chlorine poisoning or whatever is not really scientific and I dare say common sense needs to be part of the picture as well. In terms of a healthy pool, proper sanitation is likely to be more important than the off chance a kid swallows a bit of CYA. Life is full of risks. Is long term exposure to chlorine/CYA in the ratio taught here any more risky than other "protocols?" I don't know but suspect the sun is the higher risk factor for pool users and we DO know the pathogens they destroy are serious. I don't know if there are many specific studies, partly because it seems only recently the importance of the ratio was worked out. It is barely being acknowledged in US pool industry circles yet so I doubt there has been much. I do assume there is some kind of documentation in regards CYA generally and it has been in use for a long time, so far not showing any correlation to illnesses or cancers.

Reactions: gingrbredman
If anything TFP pools are a minor problem compared to public pools where CYA is a dirty word and the water is loaded with chlorine.
On another note some years back I was close up to an inspector in a sandwich place while he was demonstrating how the cutting boards were supposed to be cleaned all throughout the day. So he mixes some bleach with water in a vessel then sticks a rag into it, rings it out a bit and then wipes the knife and cutting boards and immediate counters. Store owner says "hey" how could that be safe, BLEACH? he turns and took a small amount of bleach in a cup mixed to the top with water and took a sip. His answer was a hint of it won't kill you but the health department will kill you without it.

If anything TFP pools are a minor problem compared to public pools where CYA is a dirty word and the water is loaded with chlorine.
On another note some years back I was close up to an inspector in a sandwich place while he was demonstrating how the cutting boards were supposed to be cleaned all throughout the day. So he mixes some bleach with water in a vessel then sticks a rag into it, rings it out a bit and then wipes the knife and cutting boards and immediate counters. Store owner says "hey" how could that be safe, BLEACH? he turns and took a small amount of bleach in a cup mixed to the top with water and took a sip. His answer was a hint of it won't kill you but the health department will kill you without it.
You should feel comfortable knowing the maximum safe threshold recommended in the CFR for foodservice sanitization with bleach is 200 ppm. Beyond that you’re supposed to rinse the equipment. And oh yeah they’ll tell you to go ahead and wash your vegetables and fruits in it before consumption. So indirectly I guess drinking pool water maintained to TFP standards is probably pretty safe.

Say 100 pools with TFP protocol vs say 1-3ppm protocol on a long term basis where users are blind to the protocol applied and monitoring the health of the users.
You would need a much larger set of test subjects and you would have to account for 10,000 different variables that can affect the results.

Ideally, any method of pool care would have this level of investigation, but it's not practical.

If you have actual science about whatever, you should provide it.

Maybe you can run the tests if you're so interested in the subject.

Other than that, the subject has pretty much run its course and it's not going anywhere.

You're free to do whatever you want.

Reactions: HermanTX
I am closing this thread. rteen took an INVITED leave of absence of indeterminate length.

The dripping arrogance of his posts had nothing to do with advancing TFP protocol. His reference to other forums being negative, too, told me his absence will not be his first disappearance from serious forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.