Is SWG truly carefree?

taprackbang

Mar 31, 2020
Cerritos, CA.
I'm new AG pool owner and would like to go to a SWG (Intex) for my AG pool. I still have a few chemicals left (the chlorine tablets, Shocker and a pH reducer - all made by Clorox..it's the Step 1-2-3 kit with the litmus tabs) and want to go to SWG as from what I'm reading from all the positive reviews on YT.

However, is there any chemical maintenance AT ALL for the SWG pools?
Is all I need to do is maintain the salt PPM count by just adding/maintaining salt levels?

FYI, I have a small seasonal pool from what I've read, approx 3500 gallons (its a AG 16 X 10 X 42 oval).

You still need to test your pool water chemistry and maintain pH and FC. The FC primarily by adjusting the SWCG output or pump run time.

You need a proper test kit, see Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF100. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

Or, as you say, you have a small 'seasonal' pool. So you would then manage your pool with a basic TC and pH test kit. But you would also drain the pool and refill with fresh water whenever your had an issue, such as cloudy water, algae, etc.

Reactions: taprackbang
I've been maintaining a 20,000 gallon in ground gunite pool for 40 years and there are 3 things that have made a huge difference in the last 10 years to greatly reduce cost and trouble. First is the SWG, second is a robotic cleaner, and third is a variable speed pump. One of the problems is that you can become complacent and fail to check it for days at a time. That is when you discover some minor problem like that the flow has reduced to the point where the SWG has shut off and you have to spend extra time to bring things back to normal. Day to day maintenance is less, but not zero.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
For a small pool like that, it's overkill in my opinion. Not worth the money or the headache. You won't notice an increase in water quality (you can still add salt without the SWG if you like). Use liquid chlorine and keep it covered when not in use to cut down on FC loss.

Reactions: taprackbang
Honestly, for a tiny pool like that the intex SWG’s aren’t a bad option. I wouldn’t go out and spend hundreds of dollars for a circupool SWG, but the smaller intex SWG is just over $100 on amazon and rated for up to 7000 gallons. I think it would be a good fit for his pool.

Reactions: mguzzy and Newdude
Two schools of thought when some members have found the 15 ft round pool for $74. On one hand, it’s kinda outrageous to spend 5-10 times that on a SWG. On the other hand, they saved so much money they have it to spend.

Honestly, for a tiny pool like that the intex SWG’s aren’t a bad option. I wouldn’t go out and spend hundreds of dollars for a circupool SWG, but the smaller intex SWG is just over $100 on amazon and rated for up to 7000 gallons. I think it would be a good fit for his pool.
Walmart puts those on sale end of year. We buy ours for $25 to $45. Ours only last about a year but for that price who cares! We have 10k pool so work it pretty hard.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For a small pool like that, it's overkill in my opinion. Not worth the money or the headache. You won't notice an increase in water quality (you can still add salt without the SWG if you like). Use liquid chlorine and keep it covered when not in use to cut down on FC loss.

Yes, I'm beginning to understand that..sounds like overkill also..I've been checking my pool after 2 days and even took it to the local pool shop. I was surprised when they gave me an analysis report saying that I was pretty much all standard, except that my PH could be lowered a little bit. They sold me on the granular 99% trichlor but since my pool is "small" I will only need about an 1 ounce per 3,000 gallons. The trichlor granular is 1 pound (16 oz) per bag, so I will get about 16 uses our of the bag, which was about $6.00 He said the trichlor granular (their product) also has a built in shock treatment. I'm probably going to skip the pool skim as it's just small that I can just vacuum if I need. Guess some joys for a small pool. So far the kids have been getting a great workout.

View attachment 131428View attachment 131428

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.