Is SWG safe with really old metal piping?

Klutz14159

Silver Supporter
Aug 4, 2018
Sunnyvale, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I'm dealing with an in-ground plaster pool that is at least 30 years old. All the fun attachments for return pipes don't work since my returns are all just 1" metal pipes (size is eyeballed - but definitely smaller than usual PVC) spaced around the kidney shaped pool with no threadings.

In the pool shed, the pipes coming out of the ground are all metal as well.

Is it safe to switch my pool to SWG or is it going to corrode the heck out of my pipes? I already have one small leak under the concrete pool deck by one of the skimmers.

I'm dealing with an in-ground plaster pool that is at least 30 years old. All the fun attachments for return pipes don't work since my returns are all just 1" metal pipes (size is eyeballed - but definitely smaller than usual PVC) spaced around the kidney shaped pool with no threadings.

In the pool shed, the pipes coming out of the ground are all metal as well.

Is it safe to switch my pool to SWG or is it going to corrode the heck out of my pipes? I already have one small leak under the concrete pool deck by one of the skimmers.
If you’ve already got a leak, it’d be best to fix that or replace the pipes with plastic, but that’s a separate issue from the SWG. Leaking water can cause all sorts of havoc and damage if it’s not addressed. If your pipes are all steel, it’s just a matter of time.

Depends on the pipe material - copper, brass, lead, cast iron, steel??

With the pipes beginning to develop leaks you are going to need to repipe the pool sooner or later.

Buy a K-1766 test kit to test your existing salt content. (You'll be surprised). If you only need a skootch more, or are already at 'salt pool' salinity, I'd say go for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.