Is something else making my pool green?

Feb 3, 2012
Johannesburg, SA
We had some flooding and my pool overflowed into the garden. A lot of mud ended up in the pool. The water has gone a greeny brown colour. There was already a reasonable amount of chlorine in the water (I had cleaned the filter and added chlorine earlier in the day) and then added a lot more after I drained the pool somewhat while the flood was still ongoing.

Is the green the result of algae bloom from phosphates being dumped into the water? I didn't think algae would survive that much chlorine (unfortunately my test kit only reads up to 3ppm, but I've just got a feel for it over the years), or is it maybe something else in the soil causing the green colour? I don't want to add even more chlorine if it isn't going to help clear it up.

Can you post a full set of test results?

Phosphates are algae food. If algae is not present, phosphates do not matter.

Are you following the SLAM Process process?

I would also consider updating your signature so we know what type of pool and equipment you have there. Make sure to include what type of test kit you use as that will help us along the way to answer your questions. Since it only goes to an FC of 3 ppm, I suspect your options are limited, but we can discuss more.

Unfortunately test kits that measure above 3ppm FC aren't available in my country, been meaning to import one.

pH: 7.4
TA: 60
CYA: 40

After running the filter continuously and dumping in even more chlorine, it's looking much better.

"The dirt killed your FC, algae entered the pool and grew"
Yeah, I guess this must have been the case!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.