Is "smart" home or alexa able to control your system?

AGP noob

Apr 8, 2021
dublin,ca
Currently My crappy intex pump can be controlled from my alexa and I can set up timers and schedules etc. from a cheap 15 dollar smart plug. This is done simply by plugging the pump into a "smart" outlet and I can remotely turn it on/off and have schedules via my phone.

I want to upgrade to a new pump/filter
My question is will this be possible with any of the typical 1 or 1.5HP pumps. If my smart plug/outlet cuts off power to the pump and then turns the power back on, will these pumps "start running" automatically or do they still need a switch or button to be pressed?

Or do I need to buy one of these expensive intermatic timers or just get a VS pump with a timer built in

Here is what I’m doing with smart switches.

I did something similar with a three way smart plug....I set it up on a schedule to run periodically though the day last summer and it worked really well. Named the outlets and could turn on by voice whenever we wanted....worked out nicely. Doing the same thing this year only longer cycles because I'm installing solar panel and a bunch of PVC. :D

Currently My crappy intex pump can be controlled from my alexa and I can set up timers and schedules etc. from a cheap 15 dollar smart plug. This is done simply by plugging the pump into a "smart" outlet and I can remotely turn it on/off and have schedules via my phone.

I want to upgrade to a new pump/filter
My question is will this be possible with any of the typical 1 or 1.5HP pumps. If my smart plug/outlet cuts off power to the pump and then turns the power back on, will these pumps "start running" automatically or do they still need a switch or button to be pressed?

Or do I need to buy one of these expensive intermatic timers or just get a VS pump with a timer built in

I have a smart switch that was spliced into the feed for my equipment. The mechanical timer was removed and the pump is always switched to the "on" position. I've been programming it through the smartthings interface for a while and it's also alexa compatible. Just make sure the switch you install is capable of handling a high load.

What smart plug are you using? It handles the inductive pump load okay?
Seems to handle it fine....I run it about 6 hours a day off a 20a circuit....keep in mind I'm using the cheaper Intex pump and swg....

Reactions: chi-chi and MITBeta
What smart plug are you using? It handles the inductive pump load okay?

It's actually a 4 way.....sorry about that....I use one for my pump, one for my SWG and another for the light on the pool.... :) I may set up a fountain system and use a separate pump on the 4th outlet for when we're swimming....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am using a 40 amp, 220v smart switch that does not require a hub. This one connects directly with your existing WiFi without a hub.

Reactions: chi-chi
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.