Is shocking a must?

Uncle Rico's Pool

Sep 6, 2019
Wichita, Ks
About 6-7 weeks ago I completed a slam and passed all three criteria. My water has been crystal clear since. I plan to close on Saturday or Sunday worst case because we have freezing temperatures coming on Monday. I am concerned if I slam now that my fc will not be low enough to close so I am considering being fc to half slam, adding algecide and closing.

Thoughts?

No requirement to SLAM before closing if you are confident your water is algae free.

FC anywhere between normal and half SLAM and Polyquat 60 should work fine.

Ok great. I’m new to pools but I am pretty confident. I had a long battle with a green pool two months ago. Slam was about 10 days. Water is still very clear. Fc loss seems to be about 1ppm per day. Would this give you confidence? May not have a choice now anyway.

That is ammonia which we do not recommend adding to pool water.

It will create a high FC demand when you open the pool.

Thanks. I was able to find an algaecide with the same active ingredient. Is it supposed to be thick and brown like an oil? I’m hesitant to add to my beautiful water...:)

What brand?

Does the ingredients only say Poly{oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)Ethylene (dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride}?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello everyone. Trying to close my pool this afternoon for first time following the methods recommended here. I could not find polyquat locally but found a GLB product with an identical active ingredient. When I went to add it, I noticed it is like a brown thick oil. It seemed counterintuitive to add to my blue water! Can someone confirm this is what it should look like?

Thanks!

Skimmers Or returns?

Antifreeze is an added insurance policy. You never can tell if you have blown it clear.

The frost depth is about 16” in Kansas. Water in pipes below that should not be at risk to freeze.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.