Is pollen oxidized by chlorine?

I have an oak tree very close to my pool. Everything around and under it gets this black goo on it. I have to pressure wash the concrete under it once a year and I have to douse my gazebo top with bleach to get rid of it. The oak leaves get in the pool with this fungus stuff on them. For the longest time I thought it was mustard algae or something… I get this brown and black dust every now and then that shows up. If I bring my pool up to SLAM level and don’t bother to maintain it (shock it?) it clears up. I’m relatively sure it’s this fungus mold stuff from the Oak tree.

I have an oak tree very close to my pool. Everything around and under it gets this black goo on it. I have to pressure wash the concrete under it once a year and I have to douse my gazebo top with bleach to get rid of it. The oak leaves get in the pool with this fungus stuff on them. For the longest time I thought it was mustard algae or something… I get this brown and black dust every now and then that shows up. If I bring my pool up to SLAM level and don’t bother to maintain it (shock it?) it clears up. I’m relatively sure it’s this fungus mold stuff from the Oak tree.
Ok. I do have a giant Oak and several smaller Oak trees on my backyard relatively close to the pool but I never noticed any black goo. I’ll look for that.

Ok. I do have a giant Oak and several smaller Oak trees on my backyard relatively close to the pool but I never noticed any black goo. I’ll look for that.
The black goo will accumulate on surfaces under the tree if it’s infected. I’ve actually got an arborist coming out next week to look at it, and to give me a quote to prune it back. All I know is that my pool gets a ton of organics in it. A couple of times a summer, the water will loose some of its sparkle, I get this fine black material that comes out of my returns and accumulates on my stairs. I pass the overnight test and I don’t have any combined chlorine. I get fungus, mold ect growing on my furniture.. I’m pretty sure it’s from the oak trees but it could be anything really. I also have a mosquito/ flea and tick service and the yard gets fumigated a couple of times a month, it could be stuff washing down out of the trees, who knows. I just have learned that the easiest thing to do is to “shock” the pool with liquid chlorine from time to time. I keep my chlorine on the high end of the CYA chart, run my SWG 24/7, I don’t get algae. I think that it basically just comes down to when your pool is in the middle of a forest, it’s a bit harder to deal with compared to pools that are out in the open.

Reactions: AK- and Newdude
OCLT passed with zero loss.

I did couple of not very scientific experiments. I collected 2 oz of dry pollen from the top of the cover.
Half of it went into a sealable bottle with 4ppm chlorine/water solution. 8 hours later I tested 0 CC.
The other half went into an airtight container with some sterilized cotton balls damp with distilled water and 24 hours later all that went to a different bottle (same solution). 8 hours later I tested 0.5 CC.
Not very scientific because there was plenty of ways my sample could be contaminated even with use of sterilized cotton balls and distilled water, but that does make believe something else is lurking in the pollen, but still needs time to grow.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.