Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
North Central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just used up the last of my stabilizer I bought a couple years ago. I was going to order from Amazon, but noticed online that my local Wally-World has Clorox brand in stock for about the same price. No 2-in-one or anything; just says Pool Stabilizer. Priced about the same as Amazon for the 4" bag (around 20 bucks.) What say you?

Thanks!
G.

I always keep a 4-pound bag on hand as a backup...at startup...my process is to put two pounds in a 5-gallon buck of warm pool water, stir, let it sit for 8-16 hours, stir again and again, then dump about 20% of the stabilizer in the pool, it'll look like milk going in.....and repeat till all gone. Wait 4 days and measure CYA, do not backwash the filter in that time period. Works great for me. As the season progresses....I also add 3" Trichlor at a very very slow rate as around late spring if needed. This is because Trichor contains a small amount of stabilizer so it's like a slow add. So I'll add two tabs to a floater once a week for three weeks and I'll typically see a +10 ppm increase in stabilizer. My next-door neighbor sold his house and I inherited about 80 of these 3" tabs. Used very sparingly, it works. Adds a tiny bit of CH too, if needed. Just know what you are adding. Whereas, if 3" tabs are your primary source for CL, you are in big trouble soon. I know from experience 10 years ago. :(

Reactions: borjis
Yeah the Chlorox label claims 100% CYA. Always figured that's what I'd use if it ever came to that.

But it hasn't. I really like the trichlor method of maintaining CYA, too. For 20K gal each puck is 1.7 ppm. So a floater with 4 pucks is about 7. When water is 60F and below (we don't close) the vents can be set so that lasts just about a month with FC at TFP target. Starting mid-August (now), let CYA drift down toward 60 with natural loss. Then get through all or nearly all the cold months with trichlor. In spring it's at 80 again to turn the SWG on. If 80 comes too early, then it's LQ for just a few weeks. For summer vacation, load up the floater again. The CYA boost offsets normal warm weather losses and FC is insurance against SWG hiccups. This method has taken us through 4 summers never yet buying CYA and always in the 60-80 range. Other nice stuff: when the floater is in, don't need pH adjustment (down) at all, and SWG life is being extended.

I kind of fell into this method because I bought a bucket of pucks before finding TFP. Had to use those somewhere. It worked out so nicely, it just made sense to keep on. Ymmv. Every pool is different.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.