Is my SWG cell failing?

Sep 19, 2013
Rome, GA
Hello all,

I have a Hayward Aqua Rite SWG with T-15 cell. I believe the equipment & cell are 10 years old. The display on the SWG shows the salt level at 2800 but my Taylor K-1766 test shows the salt level to be 4000. I ran a full battery of tests this morning with my TF-100 test kit and FC was 3.5 with the SWG running at 70%. There doesn't appear to be any scaling on the cell. Do you think the cell could be failing? Assuming the K-1766 test is correct and not the SWG display, can the high salt level harm the equipment? Thanks in advance!

It would be best to post a full set of diagnostic readings from the display but I see a new replacement SWG cell in your future.

I wouldn't worry about my salt level being at 4000. A TFP moderator has a pool that has been at 5000 ppm for quite sometime with no issues.

A lower than actual salinity reading is a good sign that the cell is failing when the cell is clean of scale. Look at the instant salinity number when you scroll through the diagnostics. Get the reading while the SWG is set to 100% and then switch the cell to the off position and then back on. After you hear a click go through the diagnostic readings again and see what the instant salinity number is. Often one side of the polarity will show a lower reading than the other.

Don't put any more salt in the pool, it's most likely time to buy a new cell. You might have to lower the salinity a bit with the new cell, when you install it you will find out if it gives a high salt warning.

Thanks for the quick replies. When I click through the display readings, this is what I get...not sure what any of it means other than the salt & temp...

91P
AL-0
r1.40

Does this tell you anything?

Set the output to 100%, it is at 91% and is in the off cycle as of now.

The 0.00 is the instant salinity number, it is at 0.00 because the cell is not producing at the moment.

Sorry - didn't see your post until after I had posted.

I set the output to 100%, switched the cell off then back on. After the click, I got this reading:

100P
Al-0
r1.40

That side is the issue, the salinity reading is too low, 1900, and the cell will shut down while it is running on that side of the polarity. Time for a new cell.

In the mean time, run the SWG at 100% and bump up the run time or add bleach as needed until you get a new cell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That side is the issue, the salinity reading is too low, 1900, and the cell will shut down while it is running on that side of the polarity. Time for a new cell.

In the mean time, run the SWG at 100% and bump up the run time or add bleach as needed until you get a new cell.

So it sees the -1900 as the salinity and stops producing FC? I will order a new cell today from Amazon prime and hopefully have it in 2-3 days. Should I switch the polarity again to keep it producing in the meantime?

Thanks for the assistance from both of you!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.